* FCC Actions:
* All Access reports:
* FCC Action: WXYQ-FM 101.5 Manistee has been granted its license to cover for its new facilities: 2,900 watts ERP, 80 meters HAAT.
* Activity in Michiana: South Bend radio station WHLY-AM 1580, which had been duplicating its 'Radio Hollywood' Nostalgia format on its new station in the expanded AM band on WJVA-AM 1620 has stopped the duplication. The new station configuration- AM 1580 is now WJVA and playing 'Classic Country'. AM 1620 has adopted the WHLY calls and has kept 'Radio Hollywood'- DX-MidAMerica
* 6 Grand Rapids area stations, all owned by Clear Channel, add live Internet feeds as they affiliate with Broadcast.com. The stations are: Country WBCT-FM 93.7, CHR/Top-40 WVTI-FM 96.1, Country Gold WCUZ-FM 101.3, Adult Contemporary WOOD-FM 105.7, Talk WTKG-AM 1230, and News/Talk WOOD-AM 1300
* News bites from the Grand Rapids Press:
* Toledo's fall ratings: 1)WKKO-FM 99.9, 2)WVKS-FM 92.5, 3)WRVF-FM 101.5, 4)WIOT-FM 104.7, 5)WSPD-AM 1370- Toledo Blade
* FCC Actions: WUNN-AM 1110 Mason was granted its license modification, WUPT-LP Ch. 49 Crystal Falls has been granted an extension of its contruction permit.
* Remember former WKSG-FM 102.7 Mt. Clemens nighttime host Johnny Molson? He's been located in Springfield, IL writing and producing commercials for 3 radio stations in that market- Detroit Free Press
* Gone from WKRK-FM 97.1 is Program Director Mike Stern as he moves on to Denver- All Access
* FCC Actions: 3 translator stations granted their licenses: W205BH 88.9 Pt. Huron & W210BB 89.9 Benton Harbor (WPCS-FM Pensacola, FL), W216BF 91.1 Manistique (WHWL-FM 95.7 Marquette).
* Joining WDIV-TV Ch. 4 Detroit a legal expert is retired Michigan attorney general Frank Kelley- Detroit Free Press
* WJML-AM 1110 Petoskey has added ABC Pure Gold (an oldies program) to its lineup to give the area some oldies programming with the recent format switch of WAIR-FM 92.5 to country WBYC-FM- DX-MidAMerica
* FCC Actions: 1) WHZZ-FM 101.7 Lansing has been granted a construction permit to increase its effective radiated power to 4,100 watts (from 3,300) and to increase its height above average terrain to 121 meters (from 88). This will do little to increase WHZZ's listening area, but will improve reception in some fringe areas. 2) W46CR (LPTV channel 46) Saginaw has been granted an extension to its construction permit.
* WXYZ-TV 7 Detroit News Director Dan Salamone is moved to Director of New Media- Detroit Free Press
* FCC is considering changes to local ownership limit and Local Marketing Agreement rules- mostly related to television station ownership- Detroit News
* WMJZ-FM 95.3 Gaylord has changed formats from adult contemporary to oldies with the Jones Satellite Network. This change fills the void left in Northern Michigan when Oldies 92.5 WAIR changed to country as WBYC.
* WDIV TV 4 Detroit has added Real Video for its 5:30am, 5:00pm, 6:00pm, and 11:00pm Newscasts. The station had offered only its Noon newscast previously.
* FCC Action: LPTV station W18CB Ch. 18 Houghton Lake has been an extension to its construction permit.
* From All Access: WPLT-FM 96.3 Detroit Director of Creative Imaging Slater picks up similar duties at ABC sister WDRQ-FM 93.1; WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City Program Director Mike McDonald has left the station, replaced on an interim basis by Kelly Kelly.
* FCC Actions:
* Leaving WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City for Toledo is morning duo Mike McDonald and Karrie
* WSNQ-AM 900 Gaylord adds Rush Limbaugh afternoons- DX-MidAMerica
* Watch for WKRK-FM 97.1 afternoon guy Steve Dahl to broadcast his show live from the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor before he plays with former Beach Boy Brian Wilson on one of four stops of a short tour- Detroit Free Press
* The FCC shutdown a pirate station in Howell on February 4th - all equipment was seized.
* In today's Detroit Free Press:
* Morning man Domino has left WDRQ-FM 93.1 Detroit, citing differences in philosophy about the direction of the show. Handling AM chores for now are Clark Kent, Hugh Holesome, and Rachel Hunter- All Access
* FCC Action: WJBK-DT, digital channel 58, has been granted its license for a new station. This is the first licensed DTV station in Michigan.
* WCHB-AM 1200 is back on the air testing with a loud test tone.
* Congratulations to Dick Purtan and Purtan's People of WOMC-FM 104.3 Detroit for raising a record amount of over $667,000 for the Salvation Army's Bed & Bread Club during their 12th annual radiothon earlier today.
* WWCM-AM 990 Ypsilanti adds Real Audio broadcasts
* CIDR-FM 93.9 Windsor Music Director Jason Mason has left the station- All Access
* The order of Detroit's top 7 radio stations remained unchanged in the January Arbitrend report. In order, these stations are: WNIC-FM 100.3, WJLB-FM 97.9, WJR-AM 760, WOMC-FM 104.3, WWJ-AM 950, WVMV-FM 98.7 and WMXD-FM 92.3. Classic Rock WCSX-FM 94.7 improved its ratings with the format change at WWBR-FM 102.7 to Adult Contemporary. WWWW-FM 106.7 continues to lead over rival country station WYCD-FM 99.5, however overall country ratings continue to suffer. Urban WDJT-FM 105.9 moves up to 11th overall and continues to improve its ratings each ranking period. Extreme Radio WKRK-FM 97.1 continues to suffer- the battle for the male audience with surging sports WDFN-AM 1130 has tightened to 2.0 - 1.9- All Access
* Also from All Access- new assistant program director/music director at CIDR-FM 93.9 Windsor is Pete Travers from sister stations CHUM-AM/FM Toronto.
* Coverage of West Michigan Whitecaps baseball expands to the Internet as WOOD-AM 1300 Grand Rapids plans to air all of this year's games live via Broadcast.com. Also, the Whitecaps' network expands by one affiliate for 1999- WBRN-AM 1460 Big Rapids joins WOOD, WHTC-AM 1450 Holland, and WPLB-AM 1380 Greenville- Grand Rapids Press