* Bill Walters, ex-of WXDG-FM 105.1 Detroit, has joined WKLQ-FM 94.5 Holland for afternoons.
* Fired from WTCF-FM 100.5 Saginaw was night DJ Thomas Grimm after a fight in the building that houses both WTCF and WHNN-FM 96.1 Bay City- Saginaw News
* New night guy at WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City effective May 17th is McConnell Adams (Man at Large) who moves from afternoons and Assistant Program Director roles at WKPK-FM 106.7 Gaylord- All Access
* FCC Action: Granted a construction permit to LPTV station W40AY Traverse City to move to channel 54 as W54CR. ERP will decrease to 9.6 kW from 9.88 kW.
* WDET-FM 101.9 Detroit scored its highest ratings ever this winter (Jan - Mar). The station's 1.9 rating places it ahead of WXDG-FM 105.1 and WKRK-FM 97.1- Detroit News
* Sold: WDOW-AM 1440 and WVHQ-FM 92.1 Dowagiac from VanHawke Communications to Jason Communications for $680,000- Broadcasting & Cable
* Resigned: WGRD-FM 97.9 Grand Rapids Program Director Margot Smith effective 6/25- All Access
* Grand Rapids pirate station 'La Voz' operating at 93.1 FM shut down by FCC on April 22nd- Grand Rapids Press
* FCC Actions: Approved the construction permit for LPTV station W58CU Big Rapids to move to channel 52 as W52DB. New ERP will be 22.4 kW, up slightly from the current 22.2 kW; Approved the construction permit for LPTV station WMKG channel 40 Muskegon to move to channel 38
* From All Access, the Winter 12+ Arbitron ratings are in for Grand Rapids and the Tri-Cities. CHR-Rhythmic WSNX-FM 104.5 is #1 in Grand Rapids, followed by Country WBCT-FM 93.7, and the surging alternative WGRD-FM 97.9. Making improvements since the fall were Rock WKLQ and Oldies WODJ. Slipping was Classic Rock WLAV, News/Talk WOOD-AM, and Country Gold WCUZ. In the Tri-Cities, News-Talk WSGW-AM 790 has surged to tie Country WKCQ-FM 98.1 at the top of the ratings. Oldies WHNN and Hot AC WIOG continue to be strong. Urban AC WTLZ-FM has improved its ratings along with Classic Rock simulcasters WILZ/WYLZ. Stations losing share were CHR WTCF, Adult Contemporary WGER, and Country WCEN.
* From All Access, the Winter 12+ Arbitron ratings are in for Lansing. Adult Contemporary WFMK-FM 99.1 wins the quarter over sister station Country WITL-FM 100.7. Every other station maintains the same position they held in the Fall.
* WOLY AM 1500 Battle Creek has returned to the air - however the FCC database does not show an entry for the station. It's likely the station is operating with a Special Temporary Authority granted by the FCC.
* WJXQ-FM 106.1 Jackson is once again using the 'Q106' positioner - dropping 'New 106' after 2 years.
* WJLB-FM 97.9 Detroit Programmer Michael Saunders has been promoted to Programming Vice President of Chancellor Broadcasting. He'll stay at WJLB and add consulting duties at WMXD-FM 92.3 Detroit- Detroit Free Press
* Music Director and nighttime host Craig Russell has left WKFR-FM 103.3 Battle Creek to rejoin WKPK-FM 106.7 Gaylord where he was Program Director from 1993-95. He'll take on the afternoon shift and become Assistant Program Director (APD). Back at WKFR, APD Woody Houston becomes Interim Music Director, while morning sidekick Todd Kangas leaves the station to become Promotion Director at WGRD-FM 97.9 Grand Rapids- All Access
* New Program Director at WKRK-FM 97.1 Detroit is Terry Lieberman; Nikki Chuminatto has been promoted to Music Director and morning host at WWDX-FM 92.1 St. Johns, replacing Jesse Addy- All Access
* Detroit area sports radio changes: WDFN-AM 1130 Detroit has cut back both the Fabulous Sports Babe Show and the Jamie and Greg Show by one hour to make room for a 2 hour block of Jim Rome. The new schedule is: Sports Babe 10am-Noon, Jim Rome Noon-2pm, and Jamie & Gregg 2-4; WTKA-AM 1050 Ann Arbor has added NHL playoff hockey from Mutual Sports to its lineup.
* Two more Grand Rapids LPTV stations have joined WOOD-TV's Local Weather Station Network, Ch 25 (W25BI) and Ch 59 (W59AZ)
* FCC Actions: Approved the voluntary transfer of control from Capstar Broadcasting to Chancellor Media for the following stations: WBCK-AM 930, WRCC-AM 1400, and WBXX-FM 95.3 Battle Creek, WNWZ-AM 1410, WLHT-FM 95.7, and WGRD-FM 97.9 Grand Rapids, WTRV-FM 100.5 Walker, and WWKN-FM 104.9 Marshall. This is a duplication of the FCC actions on March 17, 1999.
* After 20 years on WJBK-TV 2 Detroit, the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Muscular Dystrophy Telethon is moving to WDWB-TV 20- Detroit Free Press
* From All Access: Moving from WKPK-FM 106.7 Gaylord to Jackson's WIBM-AM 1450 & WKBM-FM/AM 105.3/970 is Jon Centala who takes on the role of Production/Imaging Director; Once the acquisition of Capstar is complete, look for Chancellor Media to change its name to AMFM Inc.
* WHFB-AM 1060 Benton Harbor decided not to carry Westwood One's revamped 70's format in favor of CNN Headline News when the format was changed from 70's Oldies to Groovin' Olides
* FCC Action: Application Granted to FM Translator W214AY 90.7 Walker- modification of construction permit to change power and relocate station.
* In the latest Arbitrend 12+ ratings (February - April), the ratings of WJR-AM 760 have rebounded to tie WOMC-FM 104.3 for 3rd place overall. WNIC and WJLB remain 1 - 2, while WWJ falls to 5th place. Country WYCD-FM 99.5 had the 2nd best ratings improvement with a .4 ratings increase, good for a tie with Country competitor WWWW-FM 106.7. FM Talker WKRK 97.1 continues to slide, falling behind Alternative/Urban Oldies WXDG-FM 105.1, Alternative CIMX-FM 88.7, and Urban WGPR 107.5. The ratings of Adult Contemporary WDMK-FM 102.7 have not reflected any significant change in its first complete ratings period since the format was changed from Classic Rock- All Access
* WHAK-FM 99.9 Rogers City has swapped formats from Country to an automated Oldies format as '99.9 The Wave', filling some of the gap left when the then WAIR-FM 92.5 (now WBYC) swapped from Oldies to Country
* WEFG-FM 97.5 Whitehall has stuck with Westwood One's Rythmic Olides format after WW1 changed formats of the syndicated service from 70's Oldies.
* Announced on WJR's David Newman show today: WJR-AM 760 Detroit Program Director Al Mayers is leaving the station- thanks, Ted Hammond
* FCC Actions: Approved the Voluntary Assignment of Licenses for WDOW-AM 1440 and WVHQ-FM 92.1 Dowagiac from Van Hawke Communications to Janson Communications.
* FCC Action: Granted a construction permit to Gaylord Baptist Christian School for a new non-commercial educational station at 88.1 FM just west of Gaylord. ERP on the permit is 3,000 watts with HAAT of 39 meters.
* Leaving: WPLT-FM 96.3 Detroit Marketing Director Mark Wuggazer- Oakland Press; WXYZ-TV 7 Detroit News Director David Roberts who is returning to Atlanta- Detroit Free Press
* Detroit TV May sweeps: WDIV-TV 4 claims victory for 5 of 6 news slots, with WXYZ-TV 7 grabbing the 5pm title- Detroit Free Press
* A new station in Sarnia, Ontario has signed on 106.3 FM and begun testing using the call sign CHKS. The plan is for AM 1110 CKTY to eventually go dark.
* Evening host Matt Gielczyk at WKLQ-FM 94.5 Holland has left the station.
* FCC Actions: Approved a construction permit for a new FM translator of KAWZ Twin Falls, ID in Baldwin at 88.1 (W201CF), ERP 13 watts, HAAT 118 meters; Approved a construction permit for the FM translator of WSAE Spring Arbor located at 104.7 in Lansing (W284AH) to increase power from 50 watts to 250 watts; Approved construction permits to increase power for 3 tranlators of WHWL Marquette: W224AV 92.7 Covington (5w to 10w), W224AW 92.7 Bergland (2w to 10w), W280DD 103.9 Ironwood (5w to 10w); Dismissed applications for power increases for 4 tranlators of WHWL Marquette: W259AD 99.7 Newberry, W260AC 99.9 Houghton, W261CI 100.1 Escanaba, W293AG 106.5 Trout Lake.
* WZPX-TV has applied to the FCC for its digital facilites on channel 44.
* WOWE FM 98.9 Vassar has become part of the nationwide trend of format switches to Rhythmic Oldies, changing from Urban AC- DX-midAMerica
* WLKM AM 1510 Three Rivers has changed its primary format from News-Talk to Nostalgia (Jones Satellite Network). Retained is the G. Gordon Liddy program- DX-midAMerica