WIAN AM 1240 Ishpeming
Slogan/Positioner: NewsTalk 1320/1240; The Talk of Marquette
Contact this station via phone, noted below.
HD Radio Status: no
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin:
On Air Date: November 16, 1947
Owner: Sovereign Communications
Office Telephone: (906) 225-1313
- WIAN simulcasts most of its programming with co-owned WDMJ AM 1320 Marquette.
- 2/2010: Announced that Northern Star is selling its Upper Peninsula stations (including WIAN/WDMJ) to Sovereign Communications pending FCC approval and closing.
- 9/2001: Announced that station has been sold by Marathon Media to Norhtern Star Broadcasting as part of 11 station, $7.95 million deal. Sale is approved in November, 2001.
- 11/13/98: WIAN-AM 1240 & WJPD-FM 92.3 Ishpeming, WDMJ-AM 1320 Marquette, and WNGE-FM 99.5 Negaunee: Voluntary transfer of licenses (construction permit for WNGE-FM) are approved from Goetz Communications to Marathon Media Midwest.
- 11/16/1947: WJPD AM 1240 first signs on as 'The Voice of the Iron Country' licensed with 250 watts fulltime. Owner is Ishpeming Broadcasting Company.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: