WGVS AM 850 Muskegon
Slogan/Positioner: Real Oldies 1480/850
Format: Public: Oldies
Contact this station through their web site, linked below:
Web site: wgvu2.org/realoldies
HD Radio Status:
Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 4, directional
Call Sign History:
- WGVS: 3/1/1999
- WKBZ: 1926
Call Sign Origin:
- Grand Valley State University
On Air Date: 1926 on AM 1500 in Ludington
Owner: Grand Valley State University
Office Telephone: (616) 331-6666
- WGVS AM (formerly WKBZ) is the oldest station serving Muskegon.
- 3/1999: Call sign changes: WKBZ-FM/AM become WGVS-FM/AM and the WKBZ calls move to 1520-AM replacing WQWQ.
- 11/25/1998: WLC Broadcasting returns WKBZ-FM/AM to Grand Valley State University as a result of a bankruptcy settlement. GVSU is now simulcasting the
WGVU signals on the WKBZ frequencies. WLC retained control of WQWQ AM 1520 and moved the news-talk format from WKBZ-AM to that frequency.
- 1996: WKBZ-FM/AM sold to WLC Broadcasting.
- 1995: WKBZ-FM/AM 95.3/850 given as a gift to GVSU by Muskegon Lakeshore Broadcasting Inc. owners Robert Jewell and Daniel Thill.
- 19xx: WKBZ AM switches frequency to 850.
- 1930s: WKBZ AM switches frequency to 1490, city of license to Muskegon.
- 11/1926: WKBZ AM on air at 1500 in Ludington.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location: