WKZO AM 590 Kalamazoo
Slogan/Positioner: AM 590 WKZO
Contact WKZO through their web site, linked below:
Web site: www.wkzo.com
HD Radio Status: no
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 5,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 5,000 watts / 4, directional
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin:
On Air Date: September 1931
Owner: Midwest Communications
Office Telephone: (269) 345-7121
- 3/31/2010: WYZO FM 96.5 Portage drops country format and begins simulcast of news/talk format of WKZO AM 590.
- 3/2006: FCC approves Midwest Communications acquisition of WQLR, WKZO, and WQSN from Fairfield Broadcasting
- 1/2006: Announced that Fairfield Broadcasting has sold its Kalamazoo stations (WQLR-FM 106.5, WKZO-AM 590, WKLZ-AM 1470, WQSN-AM 1660) to Midwest Communications for $13.25 million pending FCC approval and closing. WKLZ 1470 will go off-air and is not included in sale.
- 1991: John Fetzer dies and station is sold.
- 1930: John Fetzer buys WEMC and later moves it to Kalamzoo where it becomes WKZO and is Kalamazoo's first local radio station.
- 1925: KFGZ becomes WEMC, still based in Berrien Springs.
- 1923: 8AZ becomes KFGZ, non-commercial "The Radio Lighthouse", owned by Emmanuel Christian College (Andrews University)..
- 1922: Experimental station 8AZ is created by John E. Fetzer in Berrien Springs while he is a student.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: