WCBY AM 1240 Cheboygan
Slogan/Positioner: Big Country Gold
Format: Classic Country
Contact this station through their web site, linked below:
Web site: www.wcbyradio.com
HD Radio Status: no
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin:
On Air Date: October 1954
Owner: Northern Star Broadcasting
Office Telephone: (231) 627-2341
- 10/2012: FM translator 100.7 W264BF St. Ignace added.
- 4/2010: Format change from adult standards to classic country as 'Big Country Gold'. Format moved from then sister station WLJZ FM 94.5 Mackinaw City.
- 10/2009: Temporary authority granted to operate at 360 watts both day and night in an effort to save money and prevent the station for ending operations completely.
- 9/15/1998: Station is transferred from Calibre Communications to Northern Star Broadcasting
- 1989: Del Reynolds purchases WCBY AM and WQLZ FM; format of AM 1240 changes to Adult Standards.
- 1981: Fabiano-Strickler Communications purchases WCBY AM/FM; format of AM 1240 changes to Country.
- 1968: Sister station WCBY-FM 105.1 (now WGFM) first signs on with 25,000 watts.
- 1962: Fire destroys building. When the station is rebuilt, power is increased to 1,000 watts.
- 10/1954: Owner Richard E. Hunt (Straits Broadcasting) signs on WCBY with a Full Service format serving Cheboygan with 250 watts. Mr. Hunt also owned WSOO AM 1230 and later WSUE FM 101.3 Sault Ste Marie.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: