WJMS AM 590 Ironwood
Slogan/Positioner: Real Country; US 59
Contact WJMS through their web site, linked below:
Web site: www.wjmsam.com
HD Radio Status: no
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 5,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 3, directional
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin:
- William Johnson Music Store
- St. James Hotel
On Air Date: November 3, 1931
Owner: J & J Broadcasting
Office Telephone: (906) 932-2411
- 7/2009: J & J Broadcasting is acquiring pop WIMI-FM 99.7 and country WJMS AM 590 Ironwood from Magellan/Barracuda Broadcasting (Armada Media) for $950,000 pending FCC approval and closing. J&J also owns WKMJ FM/WMPL AM in Houghton-Hancock and programmer and 50% owner of WUPY Ontonagon. Sale was approved in August 2009 and closed in February 2010.
- 9/2006: FCC approves sale of stations to Armada Media
- 6/2006: David & Melvin Winters (operating under a number of different company names including Triple Crown and Quicksilver) will be selling 7 radio stations on the Michigan/Wisconsin border for $8.5 million to Armada Media pending FCC approvals and closing. The stations being sold include: Hot Adult Contemporary WIMI FM 99.7 and Country WJMS AM 590 (Ironwood area); Adult Standards WAGN AM 1340, Country WHYB FM 103.7, Sports WMAM AM 570, Hot Adult Contemporary WLST FM 95.1, and Oldies WSFQ FM 96.3 (Menominee, MI / Marinette, WI).
- 7/2005: Format changes from News-Talk to Country as Real Country, US 59
- 2003: Format switch from Country to News-Talk
- 4/2001: Roberts Broadcasting, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of Badger Communications, was essentially merged together with its parent company in a stock transfer valued at $3 million. Roberts will remain the licensee of both WJMS and sister station WIMI-FM 99.7
- 1975: Sister station WIMI-FM 99.7 begins operations
- 1974: Heath sells station to W. Donald Roberts (Roberts Broadcasting)
- 1969: Station sold by Johnson family to Chuck Heath.
- 1968: Daytime power to 5,000 watts, frequency change to AM 590.
- 1956: Construction permit granted for a new TV station on Channel 12 Ironwood. Station was never built in Ironwood and eventually moved to Rhinelander, WI and is today's WJFW-TV.
- 1947: Power to 1,000 watts, frequency to 630. Station moves to the same 3-tower array still in use for the current nighttime pattern.
- 1938: Frequency change to AM 1450
- 11/3/1931: Station signs on at AM 1420 with 100 watts
- 1931: License granted to the Upper Michigan-Wisconsin Broadcasting Company, which consisted of Marius Johnson, with sons Bill and Archie, and wife Mildred.
- 1927: Unlicensed station "KTQT" is operating in Ironwood at 1420 AM with 7.5 watts
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Iron County, WI
Old logo gallery: