* The order of Detroit's top 7 radio stations remained unchanged in the January Arbitrend report. In order, these stations are: WNIC-FM 100.3, WJLB-FM 97.9, WJR-AM 760, WOMC-FM 104.3, WWJ-AM 950, WVMV-FM 98.7 and WMXD-FM 92.3. Classic Rock WCSX-FM 94.7 improved its ratings with the format change at WWBR-FM 102.7 to Adult Contemporary. WWWW-FM 106.7 continues to lead over rival country station WYCD-FM 99.5, however overall country ratings continue to suffer. Urban WDJT-FM 105.9 moves up to 11th overall and continues to improve its ratings each ranking period. Extreme Radio WKRK-FM 97.1 continues to suffer- the battle for the male audience with surging sports WDFN-AM 1130 has tightened to 2.0 - 1.9- All Access
* Also from All Access- new assistant program director/music director at CIDR-FM 93.9 Windsor is Pete Travers from sister stations CHUM-AM/FM Toronto.
* Coverage of West Michigan Whitecaps baseball expands to the Internet as WOOD-AM 1300 Grand Rapids plans to air all of this year's games live via Broadcast.com. Also, the Whitecaps' network expands by one affiliate for 1999- WBRN-AM 1460 Big Rapids joins WOOD, WHTC-AM 1450 Holland, and WPLB-AM 1380 Greenville- Grand Rapids Press
* Congratulations to Dick Purtan and Purtan's People of WOMC-FM 104.3 Detroit for raising a record amount of over $667,000 for the Salvation Army's Bed & Bread Club during their 12th annual radiothon earlier today.
* WWCM-AM 990 Ypsilanti adds Real Audio broadcasts
* CIDR-FM 93.9 Windsor Music Director Jason Mason has left the station- All Access
* WCHB-AM 1200 is back on the air testing with a loud test tone.
* The FCC shutdown a pirate station in Howell on February 4th - all equipment was seized.
* In today's Detroit Free Press:
- WWJ's Sonny Eliot wins MAB award; details on other winners
- WRIF's Doug Podell wins recognition at the Gavin Convention as National Rock Program Director of the Year
- Watch for the syndicated Tom Lykis show to get the Midnight- 5 a.m. slot on 97.1 WKRK-FM soon (tape delayed)
* Morning man Domino has left WDRQ-FM 93.1 Detroit, citing differences in philosophy about the direction of the show. Handling AM chores for now are Clark Kent, Hugh Holesome, and Rachel Hunter- All Access
* FCC Action: WJBK-DT, digital channel 58, has been granted its license for a new station. This is the first licensed DTV station in Michigan.
* Leaving WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City for Toledo is morning duo Mike McDonald and Karrie
* WSNQ-AM 900 Gaylord adds Rush Limbaugh afternoons- DX-MidAMerica
* Watch for WKRK-FM 97.1 afternoon guy Steve Dahl to broadcast his show live from the Michigan Theatre in Ann Arbor before he plays with former Beach Boy Brian Wilson on one of four stops of a short tour- Detroit Free Press
* FCC Actions:
- Call Sign Changes:
02/19/99 - 89.7 FM Harrisville assigned WMIH
02/19/99 - 89.9 FM Trout Lake assigned WHWG
02/15/99 - 106.3 FM WZRK Stephenson now WWHK
02/08/99 - 88.5 FM Mackinaw City assigned WAAQ
- The construction permits for the following 10 LPTV stations in Petoskey were extended- W23BM, W25CD, W31BI, W36CD, W39CB, W51CR, W62CR, W64CK, W66CY, W68DH.
* From All Access: WPLT-FM 96.3 Detroit Director of Creative Imaging Slater picks up similar duties at ABC sister WDRQ-FM 93.1; WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City Program Director Mike McDonald has left the station, replaced on an interim basis by Kelly Kelly.
* FCC Action: LPTV station W18CB Ch. 18 Houghton Lake has been an extension to its construction permit.
* WMJZ-FM 95.3 Gaylord has changed formats from adult contemporary to oldies with the Jones Satellite Network. This change fills the void left in Northern Michigan when Oldies 92.5 WAIR changed to country as WBYC.
* WDIV TV 4 Detroit has added Real Video for its 5:30am, 5:00pm, 6:00pm, and 11:00pm Newscasts. The station had offered only its Noon newscast previously.
* WXYZ-TV 7 Detroit News Director Dan Salamone is moved to Director of New Media- Detroit Free Press
* FCC is considering changes to local ownership limit and Local Marketing Agreement rules- mostly related to television station ownership- Detroit News
* WJML-AM 1110 Petoskey has added ABC Pure Gold (an oldies program) to its lineup to give the area some oldies programming with the recent format switch of WAIR-FM 92.5 to country WBYC-FM- DX-MidAMerica
* FCC Actions: 1) WHZZ-FM 101.7 Lansing has been granted a construction permit to increase its effective radiated power to 4,100 watts (from 3,300) and to increase its height above average terrain to 121 meters (from 88). This will do little to increase WHZZ's listening area, but will improve reception in some fringe areas. 2) W46CR (LPTV channel 46) Saginaw has been granted an extension to its construction permit.
* Joining WDIV-TV Ch. 4 Detroit a legal expert is retired Michigan attorney general Frank Kelley- Detroit Free Press
* Remember former WKSG-FM 102.7 Mt. Clemens nighttime host Johnny Molson? He's been located in Springfield, IL writing and producing commercials for 3 radio stations in that market- Detroit Free Press
* Gone from WKRK-FM 97.1 is Program Director Mike Stern as he moves on to Denver- All Access
* FCC Actions: 3 translator stations granted their licenses: W205BH 88.9 Pt. Huron & W210BB 89.9 Benton Harbor (WPCS-FM Pensacola, FL), W216BF 91.1 Manistique (WHWL-FM 95.7 Marquette).
* News bites from the Grand Rapids Press:
- John 'The Hoss' Perry has been let go at all sports WMFN-AM 640 as the 'The Locker Room' show is cancelled. Replacing 'Locker Room' from 3-6pm is 'The Ray Bentley Show'- 2/2/99
- Radio station WAYG-FM 89.9 Grand Rapids signs on February 1st, simulcasting sister station WAYK-FM 88.3 Kalamazoo. WAYK/WAYG are owned by Cornerstone College, who also own WCSG-FM 91.3 in Grand Rapids- 1/31/99
- WOOD-FM 105.7 broadcaster/program director Steve Dirksen has left his on-air job and PD slot for a job in sales with the WOOD stations. New PD is midday host Paul Westaby- 1/31/99
- WLLA-TV 64 Kalamazoo's goal for installing its new (replacement) transmitter and getting back up to full power: March 1- 1/31/99
* Toledo's fall ratings: 1)WKKO-FM 99.9, 2)WVKS-FM 92.5, 3)WRVF-FM 101.5, 4)WIOT-FM 104.7, 5)WSPD-AM 1370- Toledo Blade
* FCC Actions: WUNN-AM 1110 Mason was granted its license modification, WUPT-LP Ch. 49 Crystal Falls has been granted an extension of its contruction permit.
* 6 Grand Rapids area stations, all owned by Clear Channel, add live Internet feeds as they affiliate with Broadcast.com. The stations are: Country WBCT-FM 93.7, CHR/Top-40 WVTI-FM 96.1, Country Gold WCUZ-FM 101.3, Adult Contemporary WOOD-FM 105.7, Talk WTKG-AM 1230, and News/Talk WOOD-AM 1300
* Activity in Michiana: South Bend radio station WHLY-AM 1580, which had been duplicating its 'Radio Hollywood' Nostalgia format on its new station in the expanded AM band on WJVA-AM 1620 has stopped the duplication. The new station configuration- AM 1580 is now WJVA and playing 'Classic Country'. AM 1620 has adopted the WHLY calls and has kept 'Radio Hollywood'- DX-MidAMerica
* All Access reports:
- Change for middays at WIQB-FM 102.9 Ann Arbor: in is Ken Ward who'll also serve as APD/MD; out is Chris Ammel.
- New GM for Regent Communications' Flint stations (WWBN-FM 101.5, WCRZ-FM 107.9, and WFNT-AM 1470) is Mark Thomas.
* FCC Action: WXYQ-FM 101.5 Manistee has been granted its license to cover for its new facilities: 2,900 watts ERP, 80 meters HAAT.
* FCC Actions:
- Gospel Opportunities (owner of WHWL-FM 95.7 Marquette and many translators across the U.P.) has been granted a construction permit for a new non-commercial station at 89.9 FM in Trout Lake.
- WLJN-FM 89.9 Traverse City has been granted a consturction permit to increase its ERP from 12,500 to 39,000 watts.