* FCC Action: Granted WLJZ-FM 94.5 Mackinaw City's application for the following minor change: upgrade in facilities from Class C3 (18,500 watts) to Class C2 (40,000 watts).
* The first phase of winter ratings for Detroit find Adult Contemporary WNIC-FM continuing its run on top with News WWJ-AM moving up to second place followed by News/Talk WJR, Urban WJLB-FM, and Oldies WOMC-FM.
* Friday's Radiothon for the Salvation Army's Bed and Bread Club raised over $864,000. Congrats to the staff at Detroit's WOMC-FM 104.3 Detroit.
* No sale: WQBH-AM 1400 Detroit will remain in the hands of the daughters of the late Martha Jean Steinberg. Reports earlier in the week had the station possibly being sold to Crawford Broadcasting for about $5 million.
* WJR-AM 760 Detroit will introduce a new show this Saturday at 6:00pm. Titled "Digital Hour", the show, hosted by WJR's Foster Braun and local venture capitalists Jeffrey and Richard Sloan, will focus on Michigan's growing digital economy. The program will also feature a look at arts and culture, as well as a call-in segment for listeners to propose new business ideas and get feedback- The Oakland Press
* WKBZ-AM 1520 Muskegon is Michigan's first Radio Disney outlet, station launched Feb. 5th; Carolina National Communications is aquiring the station from WLC Broadcasting.
* Viacom has completed the complete acquisition of Infinity Broadcasting. Prior to today's $12 billion transaction, Viacom held 63% of Infinity.
* FCC Action: Granted the voluntary assignment of license for WVIC-FM 92.7 Charlotte to Rubber City Radio from BB Broadcasting
* WYCD-FM 99.5 has dropped 'Young' from its 'Young Country' moniker and is now identifying the station as 'Country 99.5'. The station raised a record $1,004,655 during its recent two day St. Jude's Cares for Kids Radiothon.
* WWJ-TV 62 Detroit plans to launch an 11:00pm local newscast starting April 2 and also move its operations from Detroit to Southfield.
* WIDL-FM 92.1 Caro has proposed to the FCC the following allotment change: Changing the city of license from Caro to Cass City with an upgrade from a Class A (max 6,000 watts) to a Class C3 (max 25,000 watts).
* New morning host at WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City effective 2/16 will be Demas, who moves from nights. He's replacing Man @ Large who heads for Dallas. Current morning show producer and overnighter Buzz moves to Demas' night shift with weekender Rachel Geddes moving to the overnight slot.
* Look for WSRI-FM 92.1, WTCU-FM 95.9, and WSRQ-FM 100.1 Bear Lake to all simulcast Adult Contemporary WLDR-FM 101.9 once they return to the air / sign on- Traverse City Record-Eagle
* WJZZ-AM 1210 has returned to the air once again with an Oldies format that is likely temporary. The station is on the list of Michigan Talk Radio Network (MTRN) affiliates (with the call sign WLDR)- look for the station to add at least some MTRN programming soon.
* WKPK-FM 106.7 Gaylord (The Peak) has migrated away from Top 40 towards Hot Adult Contemporary. Gone from the playlist are most rhythmic/hip-hop titles in favor of more music of the 80's and 90's.
* WVTI-FM Grand Rapids (I-96) midday jock Ken Evans is upped to assistant program director with nighttimer Alex Caruso adding Evans' former role as music director. Eric O'Brien gives up the APD role at I-96 to concentrate on his other APD job at sister station WSNX-FM- All Access
* FCC Actions: Granted the voluntary assignment of license from Saginaw Bay Broadcasting to 990 Investors for WMAX-AM 1440 Bay City; Granted the application for minor modification of license for WTCF-FM 100.5 Carrollton
* Fort Bend Broadcasting has aquired its 5th station in Northwest Michigan, purchasing WJZZ-AM 1210 Kingsley from Radio One for about $225,000. The rights to the call sign WJZZ will be retained by Radio One for future use- All Access
* Brandon Edwards takes over as music director and midday jock at WIOG-FM 102.5 Bay City effective 2/16, replacing Brent Carey. Carey will be heard doing swing work at Detroit's WDRQ-FM 93.1 while he pursues a teaching degree at EMU- All Access
* Michael Kronley is leaving his roles of station manager and vice president at Detroit's WXYZ-TV 7 on March 5th to become general manager and vice president of Scripps sister station KJRH-TV Tulsa- Detroit Free Press
* Country WTCM-FM once again tops the Northwest Michigan Arbitron ratings for listeners age 12 and over. Rock combo WKLT/WKLZ remained the second most popular station, with the Classic Rock combo 'The Bear' finishing in third place. News/Talk WTCM-AM remained fourth and Oldies WCCW-FM improved to fifth overall, up from ninth place in the Spring. Top 40 competitors WKPK-FM and WKHQ-FM finished tied for 6th place.
* WDMK-FM 102.7 Mt. Clemens/Detroit morning co-host Daryl Fitzpatrick (Big Daddy Fitz) passed away Saturday from an apparent heart attack. Fitzpatrick, who was 37, was added to the WDMK morning program just last week and was also a regular on Detroit's stand-up comedy circuit- Detroit Free Press
* Former WJBK-AM and WXYZ-AM Detroit DJ Ed McKenzie (Jack the Bellboy) passed away Monday from multiple illnesses at the age of 90.
* Doug Karsch has left Ann Arbor's WTKA-AM 1050 in order to co-host WXYT-AM 1270 Detroit's noon-3pm show with Art Regner starting in March- Inside Radio
* WPHM-AM 1380 Pt. Huron raised over $205,000 during the station's 44th annual "Jail'n'Bail". Proceeds went to the Thumb Area March of Dimes All Access
* FCC Action: Granted WGER-FM 106.3 Saginaw its application for a minor modification to its license (note: the FCC engineering database is once again out of date; however this is probably for an increase in ERP from 2,005 to 4,400 watts. The antenna would change from non-directional to directional)
* WUPT-LP 49 Crystal Falls has re-added UPN programming to its lineup. The station also keeps some AIN shows.
* Keith Nixon, who went by the on-air name 'Biff' as the morning co-host at Jackson's WXIK-FM 94.1 (Kix), was killed in a car accident Saturday. Nixon, 44, was with WXIK until June 2000 as half of the 'Bryan and Biff Show'.
* Top 40 WKFR-FM remained atop the latest Kalamazoo 12+ ratings, which were released yesterday. Positions two through five were held by Rock WRKR-FM, Country WBCT-FM, Country WNWN-FM, and Adult Contemporary WQLR-FM. Stations improving their numbers significantly since the Spring book included WKFR, WNWN-FM, News/Talk WKZO-AM, and Urban AC WNWN-AM.
* Ty Donakowski (Ty the Night Guy) adds the music director role to his evening jock duties at Lansing's WWDX-FM 92.1 (The Edge)- All Access
* FCC Action: Granted WAAQ-FM 88.3 Onsted its application for license to cover
* WKBZ-AM 1520 Muskegon is reported off the air pending being sold- DX-midAMerica
* WGRY-AM 1230 Grayling has dropped its simulcast of Adult Contemporary sister station WQON-FM 101.1 Roscommon in favor of satellite fed Nostalgia from Jones- DX-midAMerica
* FCC Actions:
- Granted Class A status to the following LPTV stations: WOHO-LP 33 Holland, WOKZ-LP 50 Kalamazoo, WOLP-LP 27 Grand Rapids, WOMS-LP 29 Muskegon, WXSP-LP 15 Grand Rapids.
- Granted WKBD-TV Detroit its license to cover for digital facilites on channel 14
- Granted W09AJ a minor modification to its license to move to channel 43 as W43BY