John Drury High School Radio Awards give honor to WBFH-FM 88.1 for second straight year; Bloomfield Hills School District Radio Students Win Seventeen Awards in Nationwide Radio Competiton
Bloomfield Hills School District radio broadcasting students won a total of 17 awards in eight categories at the Fifth Annual John Drury High School Radio Awards ceremony held March 3, 2007 on the campus of North Central College in Naperville, Illinois. Based on the number of award winners, WBFH won 1st Place, Best High School Station for the second year in a row.
The John Drury High School Radio Awards were created to recognize excellence in high school radio broadcasting. These awards were named in honor of award-winning ABC-Chicago news anchor, John Drury. The awards were presented by North Central College and their student radio station WONC-FM.
Nine WBFH students were nominated for 23 awards, the most of any high school entering this national competition and nine more than last year. WBFH students won seven 1st Place awards, four 2nd Place awards and six 3rd Place awards:
- Best Newscast, 1st Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior (note: also won first place last year)
- Best Newscast, 2nd Place: Corey Berkowitz, Andover junior
- Best Newscast, 3rd Place: Henry Edelman, Andover junior
- Best News Feature Story, 1st Place: Corey Berkowitz, Andover junior
- Best News Feature Story, 2nd Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
- Best News Feature Story, 3rd Place: Jaclyn Talon, Andover junior
- Best Public Affairs Program, 1st Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
- Best Public Affairs Program, 3rd Place: Corey Berkowitz and Evan Schuster, Andover juniors
- Best Promo, 1st Place: Corey Berkowitz, Andover junior
- Best Promo, 3rd Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
- Best Public Service Announcement, 1st Place: Andrew Blumberg and Jaclyn Talon, Andover juniors
- Best Public Service Announcement, 2nd Place: Jaclyn Talon and Keifer Wells, Andover juniors
- Best Public Service Announcement, 3rd Place: Corey Berkowitz, Andover junior
- Best Sports Play-By-Play, 1st Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
- Best Sportscast, 1st Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
- Best Sportstalk Program, 2nd Place: Corey Berkowitz and Evan Schuster, Andover juniors
- Best Sportstalk Program, 3rd Place: Wade Fink, Andover senior
The Best High School Radio Station award was presented to the WBFH management team consisting of Station Manager Pete Bowers, Assistant Manager/Chief Engineer Randy Carr and Remote Supervisor Ron Wittebols.
WGBK of Glenview, Illinois took 2nd Place with six total awards and WLTL of LaGrange Illinois took 3rd place with four total awards.
“This was the third year we sent entries to the John Drury Awards,” said Bowers. “I’m very proud of the students who won and for WBFH finishing first for Best High School Radio Station…again.”
Andover senior Wade Fink won a total of seven awards including four first place awards. Andover junior and WBFH Program Director Corey Berkowitz won a total of six awards and made the trip to Naperville to accept his awards. “It was definitely worth the trip”, said Berkowitz.
First place award winners were also given a $1,000 scholarship to attend North Central College.
WBFH, also known as The Biff, is a non-commercial, educational radio station broadcasting at 88.1 on the FM dial and online at www.wbfh.fm.