The Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) elected officers for 2007-2008 at its Annual Meeting & Leadership retreat held July 9-10 at the Amway Grand Plaza in Grand Rapids. The newly elected officers are:
• Chairman - Bart Brandmiller – Director of Sales for Clear Channel-West Michigan in Grand Rapids
• Vice Chairman/Chairman Elect – Diane Kniowski, President and General Manager of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids
• Secretary-Treasurer – Tom Mogush, Owner/General Manager, WMQT-FM/WZAM-AM in Marquette
• Immediate Past Chairman – Mario Iacobelli, President & General Manager of WWTV/WWUP-TV in Cadillac-Traverse City
• At-Large Director, Michael King, Vice President & General Manager, WILX-TV in Lansing
Bart Brandmiller is Director of Sales for all of Clear Channel Radio's stations on the west side of Michigan. Prior to joining Clear Channel, from February 1984 to December 2002, Bart was President and General Manager of Michigan Media. Inc. (WBBL AM, WKLQ FM, WLAV FM, WODJ FM) and Vice President and General Manager of Citadel Radio Corp., both of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has served as President of the Grand Rapids Area Broadcasters Association, and is a board member of YMCA Camp Manitou-lin.
Diane Kniowski is the President/General Manager of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids, MI. Kniowski joined WOOD- TV 8 in 1993 as the National Sales Manager, and was promoted to the General Sales Manager position in 1996. She was appointed to her current position in June 1999. Diane is also an active member in the industry and community as a member of TARPAC (Television and Radio Political Action Committee), the regional chapter of American Women in Radio and Television, TVB (Television Bureau) and Junior Achievement.
Tom Mogush is owner and General Manager of WMQT-FM and WZAM-AM in Marquette. His election as Secretary-Treasurer places Mogush in line to become MAB Board Chairman in 2009-2010. Mogush contributed 15 years to broadcasting Northern Michigan University hockey on WMQT, including the 1991 NCAA national championship team. Mogush also serves as President of the Upper Peninsula Radio Broadcast Alliance, as well as the Lake Superior Community Partnership Board of Directors. He was a contributing author of the Roy Williams book Accidental Magic. Mogush is a 1981 graduate of the University of Minnesota with a degree is Speech Communications/Broadcasting.
Mario Iacobelli is President/General Manager of WWTV/WWUP-TV in Cadillac-Traverse City. He was born and raised in Detroit, where he graduated in 1960 from the University of Detroit. After college Mr. Iacobelli entered the construction industry where he owned and operated many worldwide offices. In 1982, Mr. Iacobelli formed Heritage Broadcast Company. In 1983, he bought WWTV/WWUP-TV, and has been personally overseeing the station’s daily business since 1990.
Mike King is a 1985 graduate of Michigan State University with a bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications. He has been elected to serve as Director on the Executive Committee, making him in line to become MAB Chairman in 2010-2011. King is the Vice President and General Manager of WILX-TV, Lansing, a Gray Television property. In January 1999 he was named Vice President/General Manager of WLAJ-TV in Lansing, Michigan. In 2000, he assumed his current position at WILX-TV.
Elected to serve their first term on the MAB Board are:
- Ken Radant is President and General Manager of WBCH AM & FM in Hastings. Radant’s radio career started in 1953 when he began while a senior in high school as a weekend disc jockey at WOAP in Owosso, a job he continued during college at Alma. Radant graduated from Michigan State University in 1958.
- Robert Striker is General Manager/Market Manager for Citadel Broadcasting Company’s six Lansing radio properties. Striker as been active in the MAB for years, serving on many committees and projects, including the MAB Broadcasting History Exhibit now housed permanently at Impression Five Science Center in Lansing. Striker received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan in 1984. He has served in several sales and management positions in Ann Arbor, Detroit, Toledo and Kansas City. In 2006, Rob was awarded Radio and Records Magazines’ Market Manager of the Year.
Returning to the MAB Board for 2007-2008 are: Duane Alverson, President of MacDonald Broadcasting Company in Saginaw; Don Backus, Vice President of ENCO Systems, Southfield; Al Blinke, Vice President and General Manager of WNEM-TV, Saginaw; Julie Brinks, Vice President and General Manager of WPBN/WTOM-TV, Traverse City; Paul Grezebik, Regional Sales Manager of Axcerea; Carol Lawrence Dobrusin, Vice President and General Manager of Radio One Detroit; Michael Murri, General Sales Manager of WXYZ-TV, Detroit; Gayle Olson, President and General Manager of Mid-West Family Broadcasting, Benton Harbor; Bob Peters, General Sales Manager of WCZY-FM/WMMI-AM, Mt. Pleasant; W. Palmer Pyle, President of Northern Star Broadcasting; Jeff Scarpelli, President and General Manager of Mentor Partners in Big Rapids; and Steve Wasserman, Vice President and General Manager of WDIV-TV, Detroit.