Metro Detroit: Newsmakers Feb 29, 2008

|

 

advertisement

Purtan Radiothon raises $2.3 million

The 21st Annual Dick Purtan Radiothon benefiting the Salvation Army Bed & Bread program landed just over $2.31 million dollars in pledges today, falling just short of Purtan's goal of making one dollar more than last year. The 20th anniversary radiothon last year raised nearly $2.399 million. The event, held over 16 hours at Oakland Mall in Troy, raised funds to provide food and shelter for the homeless and hungry in metropolitan Detroit. Annual gifts to the Bed & Bread Program help supply 4,931 meals each day and help shelter 565 people each night and contributions ensure that men, women, and children can count on The Salvation Army’s services year after year.

Oldies WOMC is broadcasted the entire event live maintained a blog from the event- link to it from the station's web site at www.womc.com to see highlights from the day.



Detroit News:

The February ratings book closed this week with all three Metro Detroit stations touting impressive ratings and gains. The month proved to be a news-packed time with breaking stories on Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and convicted murderer Stephen Grant's damaging jail tapes and entencing. WJBK-TV (Channel 2), the local Fox affiliate, benefited from the network's airing of Super Bowl XLII early in the month and the return of a strike-proof "American Idol." The station also ranked first in early and late news in key demographics, says Jeff Murri, the station's vice president and general manager. Meanwhile, weekday and weekend editions of "Fox 2 News Morning" ranked No. 1 in households, as well as all key demographics, and demonstrated double digit year-to-year growth... Super Bowl and 'Idol' boost WJBK-TV ratings (Fri, 2/29)


Wanted to add a little substance to something that happened today during the 3 p.m. hour of Terry Foster and Mike Valenti's show on 97.1 the Ticket. A woman called in to discuss the Kwame Kilpatrick situation. She made a number of rumor-type allegations about the Mayor's conduct, bordering on nasty. New WXYT operations manager Tom Bigby didn't like where the call was going, so he went into the booth and told the pair to drop the caller - now. There was a bit of disconnect, and then Bigby told the producer to go to break - all on the air. Foster and Valenti came back after the break, went on with the show, and all is well... Foster and Valenti show incident (Thu, 2/28)

 

Loading

 


 

 


 

Home Page | Contact | Station Listings | History | Links

Search | About | Shop | Sitemap | Weather

 

 

Twitter Facebook E-mail Feed

 

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Mike Austerman published on February 29, 2008 8:25 AM.

Metro Detroit/Mid-Michigan: Newsmakers Feb 29, 2008 was the previous entry in this blog.

West Michigan: Newsmakers Mar 2, 2008 is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.

 

 

 

Archives