The Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) elected officers for 2008-2009 at its Annual Meeting & Leadership retreat held July 14-16 at the Crystal Mountain Resort in Thompsonville. The newly elected officers are:
- Chairman - Diane Kniowski, President and General Manager of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids
- Vice Chairman/Chairman Elect - Tom Mogush, Owner/General Manager, WMQT-FM/WZAM-AM in Marquette
- Secretary-Treasurer - Michael King, Vice President & General Manager, WILX-TV in Lansing
- Immediate Past Chairman - Bart Brandmiller, Director of Sales for Clear Channel-West Michigan in Grand Rapids
- At-Large Director - Duane Alverson, President, MacDonald Broadcasting Company in Saginaw
Diane Kniowski is the President/General Manager of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids, MI. Kniowski joined WOOD- TV 8 in 1993 as the National Sales Manager, and was promoted to the General Sales Manager position in 1996. She was appointed to her current position in June 1999. Diane is also an active member in the industry and community as a member of TARPAC (Television and Radio Political Action Committee), the regional chapter of American Women in Radio and Television, TVB (Television Bureau) and Junior Achievement.
Tom Mogush is owner and General Manager of WMQT-FM and WZAM-AM in Marquette. Mogush contributed 15 years to broadcasting Northern Michigan University hockey on WMQT, including the 1991 NCAA national championship team. Mogush also serves as President of the Upper Peninsula Radio Broadcast Alliance, as well as the Lake Superior Community Partnership Board of Directors. He was a contributing author of the Roy Williams book Accidental Magic. Mogush is a 1981 graduate of the University of Minnesota with a degree is Speech Communications/Broadcasting.
Mike King is the Vice President and General Manager of WILX-TV, Lansing, a Gray Television property. In January 1999 he was named Vice President/General Manager of WLAJ-TV in Lansing, Michigan. In 2000, he assumed his current position at WILX-TV. King is a 1985 graduate of Michigan State University with a bachelor's degree in Telecommunications.
Bart Brandmiller is Director of Sales for all of Clear Channel Radio's stations on the west side of Michigan. Prior to joining Clear Channel, from February 1984 to December 2002, Bart was President and General Manager of Michigan Media. Inc. (WBBL AM, WKLQ FM, WLAV FM, WODJ FM) and Vice President and General Manager of Citadel Radio Corp., both of Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has served as President of the Grand Rapids Area Broadcasters Association, and is a board member of YMCA Camp Manitou-lin.
Duane Alverson is President of MacDonald Broadcasting. Alverson has spent his entire broadcast career working in various leadership capacities at MacDonald Broadcasting Company. Duane's broadcast career began in 1985 as Local Sales Manager for country powerhouse WKCQ-FM. A few years later he became General Sales Manager for the Saginaw property and then served for five years as VP Sales prior to being named President in 2004.
Elected to serve their first term on the MAB Board are:
• Debbie Kenyon - Vice President/Market Manager, CBS Radio - Detroit
• Bill Kring - General Manager, WWTV-TV - Cadillac/Traverse City
• Jill Saarela - Vice President/General Manager, WPBN-TV - Cadillac/Traverse City
• Lyle Schulze - Vice President/General Manager, WSYM-TV - Lansing
• Chris Warren - Corporate Controller, Midwestern Broadcasting Company - Cadillac/Traverse City
Returning to the MAB Board for 2008-2009 are: Al Blinke, Vice President and General Manager of WNEM-TV, Saginaw; Trey Fabacher, Vice President and General Manager of WWJ-TV/WKBD-TV, Detroit; Paul Grzebik, Regional Sales Manager of Axcera, Detroit; James Lutton, Vice President and General Manager of WWMT-TV, Lansing; Gayle Olson, President and General Manager of Mid-West Family Broadcasting, Benton Harbor; Bob Peters, General Sales Manager of WCZY-FM/WMMI-AM, Mt. Pleasant; Ken Radant, Barry Broadcasting, WBCH-AM/FM, Grand rapids; Bob Sliva, Vice President and General Manager of WXYZ-TV, Detroit; and Robert Striker, General Manager of WTWR-FM, Monroe.