Northern Star Broadcasting: Michigan Radio
Note: Northern Star Broadcasting is being purchased by Del Reynolds
Michigan station count: 9
Web site: www.nsbroadcasting.com
E-mail/phone: visit web site
More web sites about Northern Star Broadcasting:
|94.5||WLJZ||Mackinaw City||Classic Rock||WGFN||info|
|98.1||WGFN||Traverse City||Classic Rock||info|
- 11/2011: West Central Michigan Media Ministries agrees to purchase the silent WIHC FM 97.9 Newberry from Northern Star Broadcasting for $150,000. The FCC approves the sale in December, 2011 and it closes in February 2012.
- 8/2011: Del Reynolds was granted a construction permit for a new FM station to be licensed to Cheboygan on 97.7. The Class C3 station would operate with 3,400 watts @ 499 feet from a tower located east of Cheboygan in Cheboygan County. Reynolds won the frequency for $15,000 in an FCC auction held earlier this year.
- 4/2010: WAVC 93.9 Mio changes from simulcast of WMKC 102.9 to WGFN 98.1; WLJZ 94.5 Mackinaw City changes from classic country to simulcast of WGFN 98.1. Classic rock format (The Bear) is now heard on FM 93.9, 94.5, 98.1 and 107.1 with Bob and Tom mornings. Mainstream rock format is now heard on FM 95.5 and 105.1 with Free Beer & Hot Wings mornings. Country WMKC is now a stand-alone station. WCBY AM 1240 Cheboygan changes format from adult standards to classic country.
- 2/2010: Announced that 11 of Northern Star Broadcasting's Upper Peninsula radio stations are being sold to Sault Ste. Marie based Sovereign Communications for $3.5 million dollars. The stations involved include: WYSS-FM, WMKD-FM, WKNW AM in the Eastern U.P.; WJPD-FM, WUPK-FM, WNGE-FM, WDMJ AM, and WIAN AM in Marquette; WIMK-FM, WZNL-FM and WMIQ AM in Iron Mountain. FCC approved sale in May, 2010. Northern Star's remaining UP station, WIHC is taken off the air.
- 9/2008: Announced that Northern Star Broadcasting is selling WIDG AM 940 St. Ignace to Baraga Broadcasting for $100,000 pending FCC approval and closing. Sale approved in October 2008.
- 3/2008: WMKC FM 102.9 changes community of license from St. Ignace to Indian River
- 9/2005: FCC approves transfer of WADW from Starboard Media to Northern Star Broadcasting
- 7/2005: WADW-FM 105.5 Pickford/Sault Ste Marie is sold by Starboard Media to Northern Star Broadcasting for $900,000 pending FCC approval and closing.
- 10/2002: Announced WADW-FM 105.5 Pickford/Sault Ste Marie is being sold by Seaway Broadcasting to Starboard Broadcasting for $750,000
- 11/2001: FCC Granted the voluntary assignment of license from Marathon Media to Northern Star Broadcasting for WYSS-FM 99.5 and WKNW-AM 1400 Sault Ste Marie, WIMK-FM 93.1 and WMIQ-AM 1450 Iron Mountain, WUPK-FM 94.1 and WDMJ-AM 1320 Marquette, WJPD-FM 92.3 and WIAN-AM 1240 Ishpeming, WIHC-FM 97.9 Newberry, WNGE-FM 99.5 Negaunee, and WZNL-FM 94.3 Norway.
- 9/2001: Announced that 11 Upper Peninsula stations have been purchased from Marathon Media for $7.95 million pending FCC approval.
- 3/26/2001: WAVC-FM switches from 'The Zone' to 'Big Country' simulcast, leaving WJZJ 95.5 and WLJZ 94.5 as simulcasters of Modern Rock format
- 11/13/1998: WIAN-AM, WDMJ-AM, WJPD-FM, and WNGE-FM are offically acquired by Marathon Media from Goetz Communications.
- 10/19/1998: WIHC-FM are officially acquired by Marathon Media from Cambrian Broadcasting.
- 10/19/1998: WMIQ-AM, WIMK-FM, WUPK-FM, and WZNL-FM 94.3 are officially acquired by Marathon Media from Zephyr Broadcasting.
- 10/19/1998: WKNW-AM 1400 and WYSS-FM are officially acquired by Marathon Media from Algoma Broadcasting.