WDET-FM 101.9 Detroit
Slogan/Positioner: Detroit Public Radio; Detroit's News Station with great music all weekend
Format: Public: News/Talk, Various Music overnights/weekends
Web site: www.wdetfm.org
E-mail: visit web site
Major Network Affiliation: NPR
Power/Height/Class: 48,000 watts / 554 feet / B
Broadcasts in digital/HD
- Secondary stream format (HD2): Adult Alternative, Detroit Public Radio's music stream
- Secondary stream web site:
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WDET from RadioTime
- WDET from Wikipedia
- WDET on Facebook
- Air checks, Detroit Radio Flashbacks
Call Sign History: WDET-FM
Call Sign Origin: Detroit
On Air Date: December 18, 1948
Owner: Wayne St. University
Telephone: (313) 577-4146
- Fall 2005: Remainder of weekday Adult Alternative music is dropped in favor of talk programming.
- 2004: Some music-based and NPR programs are dropped from the station's programming, causing controversy and alienating many of the station's longtime listeners. The change marked a the first major shift in the programming of WDET which would eventually result in a mostly news-talk weekday format by the end of 2005.
- 9/28/1998: Granted license to cover for changes made to its ERP and antenna height. Old- 79,000 watts at 137 meters. New- 48,000 watts at 169 meters.
- 1952: Sold to Wayne St. University for $1. Even though the station changed to non-commercial broadcasting, it remained in the commercial portion of the FM band at 101.9 after the sale. This has greatly increased the station's visibility over the years and it remains one of only a few full-power non-commercial public stations operating in the commercial part of the band.
- 12/18/1948: On air owned by the United Auto Workers broadcasting public service programming.
Wayne County: Near Cass Ave and Canfield (Detroit)
Old logo gallery: