WDRQ FM 93.1 Detroit
Slogan/Positioner: 93.1 Doug FM, We Play Everything
Format: Variety Hits (Classic Hits/Hot Adult Contemporary hybrid)
Web site: www.931dougfm.com
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Class: 26,500 watts / 669 feet / B, directional
Broadcasts in digital/HD
- Secondary stream format (HD2): Dance/Disco, 'Detroit's party station'
- Secondary stream web site:
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- Doug FM on Facebook
- WDRQ from TuneIn
- WDRQ from Wikipedia
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
- WDRQ: 8/10/1996
- WLTI: 4/15/1985
- WDRQ-FM: 6/25/1980
- WDRQ: 1972
- WDEE-FM: 1970
- WJBK-FM: on air, July 9, 1947
On Air Date: July 9, 1947
Owner: Cumulus Media
Telephone: (313) 871-9300
- 3/2011: Announced that Cumulus Media is merging/acquiring Citadel Broadcasting in a deal worth billions of dollars. The FCC approves the sale and it closes later in 2011.
- 6/12/2007: Citadel's acquistion of WJR, WDRQ, and WDVD from Disney/ABC closes.
- 2/2006: $2.7 billion deal reached between ABC/Disney and Citadel that results in 22 stations nationwide becoming part of Citadel Communications. In Michigan, Citadel will gain control of WJR-AM 760, WDRQ-FM 93.1, and WDVD-FM 96.3 Detroit pending FCC approval and closing. Disney maintains ownership of WFDF AM 910.
- 4/1/2005: At 1:00pm, the station's format is suddenly changed from CHR to a hybrid of Classic Hits and Hot Adult Contemporary as '93.1 Doug FM, We Play Everything'. Format is a take off from the newly popular Jack FM formats that had been gaining favor at stations across the country. Most of the station's on-air talent is let go with the format change.
- 4/1999: Playlist is modified to move the station slighty away from CHR/Rhythmic and towards CHR/Mainstream. As the format evolved from it's launch in summer 1996 the station relied less and less on older songs, instead opting to take on a 'today's hit music' approach.
- 199x: Viacom's radio assets are acquired by ABC.
- 7/1996: WDRQ is reborn as 'Detroit's Dance Station', Rhythmic top 40 format that leaned heavily on gold up-tempo songs from the late 1980s and early 1990s. Marketing for the relaunch of WDRQ is heavily targeted at women.
- 3/1985: WLTI is 'The Lite', a Soft Adult Contemporary station, ending WDRQ's Top40/Disco/Urban formats for about 11 years.
- 1982: Format shifts to Urban-based hits.
- 1980: Format back to Top 40.
- 1978: Format moves to Disco-based hits.
- 197x: WDRQ moves to Top 40.
- 1972: New call sign is WDRQ, format is changed to talk as "DRQ Has News For You", the first FM station in Detroit to attempt all-talk programming on the relatively young FM dial.
- 1970: WDEE-FM format is Country, 'The Big D', simulcast of AM 1500
- 7/9/1947: Station signs on as WJBK-FM
Oakland County: Greenfield and 10 Mile Rds (Oak Park)
Old logo gallery:
Some logos courtesy of DetroitRadioFlashbacks.net