WGFN-FM 98.1 Glen Arbor/Traverse City
Slogan/Positioner: Classic Rock The Bear
Format: Classic Rock
Web site: www.classicrockthebear.com
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Class: 21,000 watts / 738 feet / C2
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WGFN from Wikipedia
- WGFN from RadioTime.com
- Classic Rock The Bear on Facebook
Call Sign History:
- WGFN: 5/22/1992
- WMLB: assigned 10/13/1988
Call Sign Origin: Similar to sister station WGFM Cheboygan
On Air Date: about 1988
Owner: Northern Star Broadcasting
Telephone: (231) 922-4981
- 4/2010: WAVC 93.9 Mio changes from simulcast of WMKC 102.9 to WGFN 98.1; WLJZ 94.5 Mackinaw City changes from classic country to simulcast of WGFN 98.1. Classic rock format (The Bear) is now heard on FM 93.9, 94.5, 98.1 and 107.1 with Bob and Tom mornings. Mainstream rock format is now heard on FM 95.5 and 105.1 with Free Beer & Hot Wings mornings (as of August). Country WMKC is now a stand-alone station.
- 2/2010: Announced that 11 of Northern Star Broadcasting's Upper Peninsula radio stations are being sold to Sault Ste. Marie based Sovereign Communications for $3.5 million dollars. Northern Star's remaining UP station, WIHC 97.9 Newberry, drops the near-simulcast of WGFN and is taken off the air.
- 9/14/2009: Classic rock format on WGFM 105.1 Cheboygan is changed to mainstream rock and simulcast with WGFN is dropped with the exception of morning drive / The Bob and Tom Show.
- 2/1/2002: WIHC-FM 97.9 Newberry is added to simulcast; it simulcasts music but advertising is different.
- 9/15/1998: Stations are transferred from Calibre Communications to Northern Star Broadcasting.
- 1988-89: Station signs on simulcasting WUPS-FM 98.5 Houghton Lake
- Original owners were Mike and Linda Bradford, thus the WMLB call sign
Old logo gallery: