WGVS-FM 95.3 Whitehall/Muskegon
Simulcast of WGVU-FM 88.5 Allendale/Grand Rapids
Slogan/Positioner: WGVU Radio, West Michigan Public Radio
Format: Public: News/Talk, Jazz
Web site: www.wgvu.org
E-mail: visit web site
Major Network Affiliation: NPR
Power/Height/Class: 2,000 watts / 361 feet / A
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WGVU-FM from Wikipedia
- WGVS-FM from RadioTime.com
- WGVU on Facebook
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
- WGVS-FM: 3/1/1999
- WKBZ-FM: 3/19/1993
- WMHZ: (not certain if this call was used)
Call Sign Origin: Grand Valley State U.
On Air Date: approximately late 1970s
Telephone: (616) 771-6666
- 3/1999: Call sign changes: WKBZ-FM/AM become WGVS-FM/AM and the WKBZ calls move to 1520 AM, replacing WQWQ.
- 11/25/1998: WLC Broadcasting returns WKBZ FM/AM to Grand Valley State University as a result of a bankruptcy settlement. GVSU is now simulcasting the WGVU signals (Public/Jazz) on the WKBZ frequencies. WLC retained control of WQWQ-AM 1520 and moved the news-talk format from WKBZ-AM to that frequency.
- 1996: WKBZ FM/AM sold to WLC Broadcasting.
- 1995: WKBZ FM/AM 95.3/850 given as a gift to GVSU by Muskegon Lakeshore Broadcasting Inc. owners Robert Jewell and Daniel Thill.
- 199x: Format is Urban as Power 95.3 FM with WKBZ-FM call sign.
- Late 1970s: On air as WLRQ with top 40 format 'Super Q'.