WGVU AM 1480 Kentwood/Grand Rapids
Simulcast on WGVS-AM 850 Muskegon
Slogan/Positioner: Real Oldies 1480/850; The Way Oldies Are Meant To Be Heard
Format: Public: Oldies
Web site: www.realoldies1480.com
E-Mail: visit web site
Major Network Affiliation: NPR
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 2,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 5,000 watts / 4, directional
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage areas: Day, Night
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WGVU from Wikipedia
- WGVU from RadioTime.com
- WGVU on Facebook
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
- WGVU: 7/20/1992
Call Sign Origin: Grand Valley State University
On Air Date: May 22, 1992
Telephone: (616) 771-6666
- 8/27/2009: Format change to 50s - 70s oldies with regular NPR news updates. WGVU becomes the first public/listener supported radio station to attempt an oldies format.
- 5/2006: AM Stereo noted back on, but soon is dropped again.
- 2005: Noted that station is no longer broadcasting in AM stereo.
- 11/25/1998: WLC Broadcasting returns WKBZ FM/AM to Grand Valley State University as a result of a bankruptcy settlement. GVSU is now simulcasting WGVU programming on the WKBZ (95.3/850) frequencies.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: