WIHC FM 97.9 Newberry/Sault Ste Marie
Slogan/Positioner: Strong Tower Radio
Web site: www.strongtowerradio.org
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Class: 50,000 watts / 492 feet / C2
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- Strong Tower Radio on Facebook
- WIHC from TuneIn
- WIHC from Wikipedia
Call Sign History:
- WIHC: 10/1/1995
- WUPQ: assigned 12/8/1988
Call Sign Origin: Hot Country 97.9 (previous format and owner)
On Air Date: approx 1988-89
Telephone: (231) 468-2087
- 11/2011: West Central Michigan Media Ministries agrees to purchase the silent WIHC FM 97.9 Newberry from Northern Star Broadcasting for $150,000. The FCC approves the sale in December 2011 and it closes in February 2012.
- 2/2010: Announced that Northern Star Broadcasting is selling all of its Upper Peninsula radio stations with the exception of WIHC which goes silent.
- 2/1/2002: Format switch from Country (Hot Country 97.9) to Classic Rock as part of The Bear simulcast (WGFM-FM 105.1 Cheboygan / WGFN-FM 98.1 Glen Arbor/Traverse City / WCKC-FM 107.1 Cadillac). WIHC plays the same music but broadcasts separate advertisements targeted towards the Eastern Upper Peninsula.
- 11/2001: FCC approves sale to Northern Star Broadcasting
- 9/2001: Announced that station has been sold by Marathon Media to Norhtern Star Broadcasting as part of 11 station, $7.95 million deal, pending FCC approval.
- 10/19/1998: License was voluntarily been transferred from Cambrian Broadcasting to Marathon Media of Michigan.
- 1995: Format change from easy listening as WUPQ to country as WIHC.
Old logo gallery: