WMKC FM 102.9 Indian River
Slogan/Positioner: 102.9 Big Country Hits
Web site: www.1029bigcountry.com
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Class: 100,000 watts / 1,102 feet / C0
Construction permit: 77,000 watts / 967 feet / C1
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- Radio Locator const. permit coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WMKC from Wikipedia
- WMKC from RadioTime.com
- WMKC on Facebook
Call Sign History:
- WMKC: 12/16/1981
- WIDG-FM: assigned 9/1/1981
Call Sign Origin: Mackinac
On Air Date: January 1982
Owner: Northern Star Broadcasting
Telephone: (231) 922-4981
- 4/2010: WAVC FM 93.9 Mio ends simulcast of WMKC. WAVC switches to simulcast of sister station classic rock WGFN 98.1 Glen Arbor.
- 5/2008: Construction permit granted to change effective radiated power from 100,000 watts @ 1,102 feet (Class C0) to 77,000 watts @ 967 feet (Class C1). In addition the station's broadcast location would change from west-central Emmet county to the south in Charlevoix county near the Otsego county line.
- 3/2008: License to cover granted for community of license change to Indian River.
- 12/2007: Construction permit granted for community of license change from St. Ignace to Indian River.
- 3/26/2001: WAVC-FM 93.9 Mio begins simulcasting WMKC after dropping Modern Rock programming simulcast from WJZJ-FM 95.5 Glen Arbor
- 1999: Positioner switch from 'KC-Country' to 'Big Country'
- 9/15/1998: Calibre Communications reorganizes as Northern Star Broadcasting
- 12/1995: Reynolds sells to Calibre Communications.
- 199x: Doc Benson retires and sells his stations to Del Reynolds.
- 1990: Station moves its broadcast location from Mackinac County in the Upper Peninsula to Emmet County in the Lower Peninsula, dramatically improving the station's reception in the Northern Lower Peninula at the expense of the Eastern UP.
- 1989: FM 107.1 Cadillac (WCKC) begins simulcast of WMKC. Cadillac simulcast would end in the 1990s.
- 1985: Repositions as KC-103.
- 1/1982: Station signs on as Country 103-WMKC, owned by Mighty Mac Broadcasting (Doc Benson).
Construction permit transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: