WMKD FM 105.5 Pickford/Sault Ste Marie
Slogan/Positioner: Big Country 105.5; The Twin Soo's Home for Continuous Country Favorites
Power/Height/Class: 100,000 watts / 253 feet / C1
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WMKD from Wikipedia
- WMKD from RadioTime.com
- Facebook (no page found)
Call Sign History:
- WMKD: 11/7/2005
- WADW: assigned 7/9/1993
Call Sign Origin: similar to former sister station WMKC FM 102.9
On Air Date: approx January 2001
Owner: Sovereign Communications
Telephone: (866) 395-1055
- 2/2010: Announced that 11 of Northern Star Broadcasting's Upper Peninsula radio stations are being sold to Sault Ste. Marie based Sovereign Communications for $3.5 million. The stations involved include: WYSS-FM, WMKD-FM, WKNW AM in the Eastern U.P.; WJPD-FM, WUPK-FM, WNGE-FM, WDMJ AM, and WIAN AM in Marquette; WIMK-FM, WZNL-FM and WMIQ AM in Iron Mountain. FCC approved sale in May, 2010.
- 2/2006: License to cover granted for the construction permit that was granted in September 2005.
- 1/2006: Station returns to the air, at first simulcasting Modern Rock format of WLJZ-FM 94.5 Mackinaw City/WJZJ-FM 95.5 Leland-Traverse City, then taking on Country format as Big Country 105.5 serving Sault Ste Marie and the Eastern Upper Peninsula.
- 9/2005: FCC approves transfer of station from Starboard Media to Northern Star Broadcasting
- 9/2005: Construction permit granted to change ERP from 55,000 watts @ 108 feet to 100,000 watts @ 253 feet from a new tower location.
- 7/2005: Station is sold by Starboard Media to Northern Star Broadcasting for $900,000 pending FCC approval and closing.
- 4/2004: Station is reported on-air once again with Religious/Catholic format. It's later reported that the station has gone silent once again.
- 12/2002: FCC approves sale to Starboard Broadcasting, station is off-air
- 10/2002: Announced station is being sold by Seaway Broadcasting to Starboard Broadcasting for $750,000
- 1/2001: Station is on-air with Oldies format