WNEM AM 1250 Bridgeport/Saginaw/Bay City
Slogan/Positioner: WNEM 1250 AM
Web site: www.wnem.com/newsradio1250
E-mail: visit web site
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 5,000 watts / 4, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 1,100 watts / 4, directional
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator daytime coverage area
- Radio Locator nighttime coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WNEM from Wikipedia
- WNEM from RadioTime.com
- WNEM on Facebook
Call Sign History:
- WNEM: 8/2/2004
- WKNX: 2/1/1997 (see below)
- WJZZ: 8/23/1996
- WXOX: 2/13/1984
- WTCX: 11/1/1983
- WXOX: 1962
Call Sign Origin: Same as sister station WNEM TV
On Air Date: Nov. 26, 1956
Owner: Meredith Corp.
Telephone: (989) 755-8191
- 1/2006: License to cover granted for changes first approved June 2005 (see next entry)
- 6/9/2005: Application for major change granted to change daytime ERP from 1,000 watts using 3 towers to 5,000 watts using 4 towers and nighttime ERP from 129 watts (3 towers) to 1,100 watts (4 towers). The station's community of license will change from Bay City to Bridgeport once the construction permit work is completed.
- 8/2/2004: Format change from Talk/Oldies/Religious WKNX (calls were from KNX radio Los Angeles) to News as WNEM with some Religious programs on weekends. In addition to replays of newscasts from sister station WNEM-TV 5 Bay City, the station airs a rotating news "wheel" of content created for the radio station using the resources of WNEM-TV.
- 6/2004: Construction permit granted to increase daytime power from 1,000 watts using 3 towers to 5,000 watts using 4 towers
- 5/2004: FCC approves sale to Meredith Corp.
- 3/2004: License to cover granted for nighttime service
- 3/2004: Announced that station has been sold for $1.1 million by John and Kathy Blehm to Meredith Corporation. Meredith also owns / operates WNEM-TV 5 in Bay City. WKNX is expected to take on the call sign of WNEM and change format to News/Talk once the sale is approved by the FCC.
- 1/2004: Application filed to increase daytime power to 5,000 watts from current 1,000
- 8/2003: Construction permit granted to add nighttime service at 129 watts from same three tower array as used for current daytime pattern
- 12/2001: Talk programming added to Oldies format during daytime hours
- 6/30/1997: Purchased by Frankenmuth Broadcasting
- 1/1997: Oldies WKNX 1210 Frankemuth and silent WJZZ 1250 Bay City swapped frequencies. The WJZZ on 1210 has since moved from Frankenmuth to Kingsley (near Traverse City).
- 1994: Purchased by Bell Broadcasting (along with WKNX 1210 Frankenmuth)
- 19xx: Station, as WXOX, goes silent
- 11/26/1956: WWBC-AM 1250 Bay City signs on, owner is Water Wonderland Broadcasting Company
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Old logo gallery: