WOAP AM 1080 Owosso
Slogan/Positioner: The Big 1080; Michigan's Big Oldies
Web site: www.thebig1080.com
E-Mail: visit web site
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 1, omnidirectional
Daytime operations only
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator daytime coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WOAP from Wikipedia
- WOAP from RadioTime.com
- WOAP on Facebook
- MI Entertainment Radio (provides some programming)
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin: Owosso Argus Press (original owner)
On Air Date: January 1, 1948
Owner: Birach Broadcasting
Telephone: (989) 472-4104
- Note: Web stream carries oldies full time; WOAP on-air carries dayparted talk programming from MI Entertainment Radio.
- 8/14/2009: WOAP resumes operation from its Owosso studio location with an oldies format and announces that plans to move the station to Lansing were being abandoned.
- 7/2009: FCC approves purchase of WOAP and WCAR and the deal closes.
- 5/2009: Birach Broadcasting purchases WOAP AM 1080 Owosso and WCAR AM 1090 Livonia/Detroit from 1090 Investments, LLC for $1,025,000 pending FCC approvals and closing.
- 11/2008: Construction permit granted to add nighttime service at Waverly (4,500 watts with 6-tower array).
- Summer 2008: Station returns to the air for a short time then again goes silent.
- 7/20/2007: Station is silent once again.
- 3/2007: WOAP returns to air; programming is Religious/Catholic once again, simulcast of WCAR 1090 Detroit
- 3/2007: Construction permit granted for community of license change from Owosso to Waverly, increase in power from 1,000 watts to 50,000 watts with a new 6-tower array to be built in Ingham county south of Lansing.
- 8/2006: Major change application for moving the station's daytime operations to the Lansing area (Waverly) reinstated. Station withdrew its application for nighttime operations.
- 4/14/2006: WOAP ceases operations and applies for temporary silent authorization from the FCC.
- 1/2006: Secular programming is dropped as station shifts to all-Religious/Catholic format, primarily simulcasting WCAR 1090 Livonia.
- 6/2003: Application for move to Lansing area with power increase and added nighttime service is dismissed.
- 2000: Station applies for major change to move to Waverly (near Lansing).
- 2/18/2000: License is assigned to 1090 Investments from Hartman Broadcasting.
- 3/2/1998: Purchased by William & Jessica Janego (Hartman Broadcasting).
- 199x: Purchased by Connoisseur Communications who split operations of the FM and AM stations.
- 5/15/1987: Purchased by Michigan Communications Corp. from the Owosso Argus-Press as FCC regulations changed, prohibiting cross-ownership of newspapers and radio stations in the same market.
- 12/2/1965: WOAP-FM returns to the airwaves.
- by 1953: WOAP-FM goes silent due to lack of listenership.
- 1948: Original owner Owosso Argus-Press signs on WOAP-FM/AM combo.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location: