WPON AM 1460 Walled Lake/Pontiac
Format: Silent - station is not on-air
Web site: www.wpon.com
E-Mail: visit web site
Former technical specs before going silent:
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 1,000 watts / 4, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 760 watts / 3, directional
Broadcast towers were removed in September, 2010
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 670 watts / 4, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 175 watts / 3, directional
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator daytime coverage area
- Radio Locator nighttime coverage area
- Radio Locator CP daytime coverage area
- Radio Locator CP nighttime coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WPON from Wikipedia
- WPON from RadioTime.com
- WPON Facebook (no link found)
Call Sign History:
- WPON: sign-on, 1954
Call Sign Origin: Pontiac
On Air Date: December 1954
Owner: Birach Broadcasting
Telephone: (248) 557-3500
- 7/2011: After operating for a very short period, the station goes silent once again.
- 9/2010: WPON's remaining broadcast antenna was removed and the station went silent. Programming moved to sister station WCXI AM 1160 Fenton.
- 2/2009: Construction permit granted to move transmission site and modify power and patterns. Daytime power from 1,000 watts / 4 towers to 670 watts / 4 towers. Nighttime power from 760 watts / 3 towers to 175 watts / 3 towers. Station will downgrade to Class D from Class B and move west from Benstein Rd. to between Wixom and Old Plank Rds near Maple Rd. A virtually identical construction permit was granted in 2005 but never completed.
- Late 2004: Lease expires on land where transmission site is- owner is developing property forcing WPON to move once again. While the station attempts to identify a new location, it reduces power as its array is modified down to one tower to clear some of the land.
- 5/2004: FCC approves sale to Birach.
- 4/2004: Birach Broadcasting agrees to purchase station from Foreign Radio Programs for $800,000, pending FCC approval.
- 1997: Format shifts to oldies and brokered talk.
- 1995: Acquired by Foreign Radio Programs.
- 1986: Algis Zaparakis acquires the station and sells the Bloomfield Township land where the station's transmitter was located. WPON moves to the Wolverine Lake area near Walled Lake and changes to a directional antenna array with 1,000 watts daytime and 760 watts at night. The changes result in the station's signal becoming much harder to receive in much of its former coverage area. Also in 1986, the station changed format to primarily ethnic programming.
- WPON was owned and operated for many years by Chief Pontiac Broadcasting and featured formats raning from country to top-40. WPON broadcast from near Square Lake Road and Woodward Avenue in Bloomfield Township for many years at 1,000 watts using a single antenna (omnidirectional) providing much of Oakland County with a reliable signal.
FORMER center of antenna array/transmitter location (antennas no longer standing):
Oakland County; near Benstein and W. Maple Rds (Commerce Twp)
Const permit transmitter location:
Oakland County; near Maple Rd. between Wixom and Old Plank Rds