WTCM AM 580 Traverse City
Slogan/Positioner: NewsTalk 580
Web site: www.wtcmradio.com
E-Mail: visit web site
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 50,000 watts / 4, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 1,100 watts / 4, directional
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator daytime coverage area
- Radio Locator nighttime coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- WTCM from Wikipedia
- WTCM from RadioTime.com
- WTCM on Facebook (morning show)
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin: Traverse City, Michigan
On Air Date: 1940
Telephone: (231) 947-7675
- 6/1/2005: License to cover granted for construction permit granted 9/30/2003 (daytime power to 50,000 watts / nighttime to 1,100 watts).
- 11/17/2004: Construction permit modified to specify change in daytime power to 50,000 watts.
- 1/2004: Application filed to change daytime construction permit to 50,000 watts.
- 9/30/2003: FCC grants construction permit for daytime power boost to 35,000 watts from 15,000 and nighttime boost to 1,100 watts from 800.
- 4/2003: Station applies to up daytime power to 35,000 watts and nighttime to 1,100 watts.
- 198x: Format change to News/Talk.
- 1982: Frequency change to 580 with power increase to 2,500 watts daytime. AM 1400 is donated to local church and becomes WLJN.
- 197x: Format change to Country, simulcasting WTCM-FM.
- 1975: Format change to Pop.
- 196x: Power increase to 1000 watts daytime.
- 1950: WTCM is part of the Paul Bunyan Network which was made up of WTCM, WATT Cadillac, WATZ Alpena, WMBN Petoskey, and WATC Gaylord. All of the stations were owned by Les Biederman.
- 194x: Frequency change to 1400.
- 1940: Station signs on at AM 1370 with 250 watts and becomes Traverse City's first licensed radio station. Owner is Les Biederman; format is Full Service.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Grand Traverse County
Old logo gallery: