WVGR FM 104.1 Grand Rapids
Simulcast of: WUOM-FM 91.7 Ann Arbor
Slogan/Positioner: Michigan Radio
Format: Public: News-Talk
Web site: www.michiganradio.org
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Class: 96,000 watts / 725 feet / B, directional
Broadcasts in digital/HD
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- Michigan Radio from Wikipedia
- WVGR from RadioTime.com
- Michigan Radio on Facebook
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
Call Sign Origin: Vogt Grand Rapids
On Air Date: December 7, 1961
Owner: University of Michigan
Telephone: (734) 764-9210
- Fall 2006: After operating with special temporary authority from the FCC on the WBCT-FM 93.7 / WWMT-TV 3 tower for several years, WVGR is granted its license to cover for new permanent facilites that allowed the station to remain at nearly 100,000 watts ERP.
- 2004: Classical web stream dropped.
- 5/2004: Construction permit granted to change licensed ERP from 108,000 watts @ 600 feet nondirectional to 108,000 watts @ 718 feet directional from a slightly different tower location from when the station's antenna was on the WOOD-TV 8 tower. WVGR had to move from the WOOD-TV tower when the TV station added facilities for digital broadcasting.
- 7/2000: Overnight Classical programming is dropped in favor of all News/Talk shows. Classical music now available 24 hours/day via web site.
- WVGR call sign a nod to Fred Vogt, the man who led the fundraising campaign for public radio in Grand Rapids.