WWJ AM 950 Detroit

advertisement

Slogan/Positioner: Newsradio 950

Format: News

Web site: www.wwj.com

E-Mail: visit web site

Class: B
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 50,000 watts / 5, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 50,000 watts / 6, directional

FCC technical information:

More about station:

Call Sign History:

  • WWJ: 3/3/1922
  • WBL: 10/13/1921
  • 8MK: 1920

Call Sign Origin: none - was assigned by U.S. govt

On Air Date: August 20, 1920

Owner: CBS Radio

Telephone: (248) 455-7200

 

Notes/History:

  • Michigan's oldest radio station and arguably the USA's oldest as well.
  • 4/12/2002: License to cover granted for daytime power boost to 50,000 watts from same facility used for night pattern. Daytime signal uses 5 towers, nighttime uses 6
  • 8/30/2000: License to cover granted for nighttime power boost to 50,000 watts from new facility
  • 1/13/2000: Construction permit granted to increase daytime power to 50,000 watts
  • 5/1999: Application filed to increase daytime power to 50,000 watts
  • 1998: Station has construction permits to increase power to 12,000 watts daytime / 50,000 watts nighttime from 5,000 / 5,000. The location of the transmitter would move from 8 Mile and Meyers Rds. to northeast Monroe county.
  • 3/9/1989: CBS purchases station
  • 1973: Full service format is changed to All-News
  • 3/29/1941: Station moves to 950 AM
  • 1936: Power increase to 5,000 watts
  • 6/30/1930: Station is at 920 AM
  • 6/30/1928: Station is back to 850 AM (is 800 in '27 an error?)
  • 6/30/1927: Station is at 800 AM, power increase from 500 watts to 1000 watts
  • 6/30/1922: Station is at 850 AM
  • 1922: Station is at 580 AM
  • The Scripps family founded 8MK, which claims that on Aug. 20, 1920, it 'became the first radio station in the world to broadcast regularly scheduled programs.' According to this claim the first broadcast began at 8:15 p.m. from the second floor of The Detroit News Building with the words 'This is 8MK calling,' followed by the playing of two phonograph records, 'Annie Laurie' and 'Roses of Picardy,' a query by an announcer to unseen listeners, 'How do you get it?,' and the playing of taps. The broadcast is thought to have been received in some 30 Detroit homes. The station, then licensed to the Detroit Evening News, says it has been on the air continuously ever since. The newspaper was established in 1873 by James Edmund Scripps, who apparently first became interested in radio in 1902 after listening to a Detroit experimental wireless operator, Thomas E. Clark. James E. Scripps and his only son, William Edmund Scripps, attended a private demonstration of Clark's system of wireless transmission of Morse code and then helped finance Mr. Clark's work. Meanwhile, William John Scripps, known then as 'Little Bill,' son of William E. Scripps, was by 1918, at the age of 13, a devoted ham radio hobbyist. Out of that hobby grew WWJ. It was largely in the Detroit News plant that young Bill did his radio experimenting and it may have been in deference to the boss's son (J. E. Scripps died in 1906), that the newspaper started a radio page which later led to the formation of the newspaper's station. [Source: Broadcasting Magazine, 1970]

 


 

Center of antenna array/transmitter location:

Monroe County; Berlin Twp, near Dixie Hwy and Reaume Rd

 

 


 

Discussion

 

 


 

Loading

 


 

 


 

Southeast MI | Flint/Tri-Cities | Mid-Michigan | West Michigan

Northern MI | Upper Peninsula | Ontario | Television

TV Markets | FM Radio | LPFM | FM Translators

AM Radio | Sports | Owners | Weather Radio

LPTV | AM TIS | Format Key

 

Home Page | Contact | Station Listings | History | Links

Search | About | Shop | Sitemap | Weather

 

Twitter Facebook E-mail Feed