WXYT AM 1270 Detroit
Slogan/Positioner: Talk Radio 1270
Daytime Power / # of Towers: 50,000 watts / 9, directional
Nighttime Power / # of Towers: 50,000 watts / 9, directional
FCC technical information:
More about station:
- Radio Locator daytime coverage area
- Radio Locator nighttime coverage area
- FCCInfo.com listing
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- CBS Detroit on Facebook
- WXYT from TuneIn
- WXYT from Wikipedia
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
- WXYT: 10/9/1984
- WXYZ: 1930
- WGHP: 1925
Call Sign Origin: Similar to WXYZ, Talk
On Air Date: October 10, 1925
Owner: CBS Radio
Telephone: (248) 855-5100
- 10/1/2007: FM 97.1 ends talk format and begins simulcast with AM 1270 as 'Detroit Sports Powerhouse' and later '97.1 The Ticket'.
- 1/2004: License to cover granted to power increase to 50,000 watts and location change from Southfield to northern Monroe County.
- 2/2003: Nighttime CP is modified for 50,000 watts.
- 8/2002: Daytime CP is modified for 50,000 watts.
- 10/25/2001: FCC grants construction permit for nighttime power increase to 48,000 watts
- 9/28/2001: FCC grants construction permit for daytime power increase to 48,000 watts.
- 5/2000: Applications filed with FCC to increase both daytime and nighttime power to 48,000 watts from current 5,000 and move broadcast location from Southfield to northern Monroe County.
- 3/2000: Station is all sports with the exception of 6-10am (Don Imus).
- 1/2000: Station is sports based talk from 10am-noon, and 3pm-10pm. Rush Limbaugh will be vacating the noon-3 spot in March as that show moves to WJR.
- 12/26/2000: Repositions from 'Talkradio 1270' to 'Team 1270' as migration to all-sports continues.
- 9/2000: Station secures rights to Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings away from WJR. Plans are for the station to move from conservative-based talk to all sports early in 2001.
- 12/1998: After an unsuccessful attempt to become Michigan's governor, lawyer Geoffrey Fieger begins hosting an evening talk program that lasts less than a year.
- 2/1997: The often absent Bonds is replaced by syndicated Don Imus, who moved from 97.1 FM when that station picked up the Howard Stern program.
- 5/1996: Former WXYZ-TV and WJBK-TV news anchor Bill Bonds takes over morning show.
- 1994: Fritz sells station to Infinity Broadcasting, which later becomes part of CBS.
- 1984: ABC sells station to Chuck Fritz for $3 million. Calls are changed to differentiate the station from WXYZ-TV, which continued under ABC ownership until 1985. 'T' sounds similar to 'Z' and stood for 'Talk'.
- 1978: With the departure of Purtan to CKLW, the station decides to drop music programming and takes on an all news/talk format.
- 1968: WXYZ lands former WKNR jock Dick Purtan for morning drive and adjusts format to pop/oldies.
- 1967: Format changes to middle-of-the-road 'The Sound of the Good Life'.
- 1959: WXYZ, WXYZ-FM, and WXYZ-TV move from the Maccabees Building to what became known as Broadcast House in Southfield.
- 1958: Format of WXYZ AM is primarily top 40 which was popularly known through the middle of the 1960s as either 'Channel 1270' or 'Wixie'.
- 1948: ABC launches WXYZ-TV Channel 7 and WXYZ-FM 101.1 in Detroit; many WXYZ AM personalities are featured on Channel 7 and are credited with helping save the network financially.
- 1946: ABC purchases WXYZ, WOOD Grand Rapids and the Michigan Radio Network for $3,650,000 from King-Trendle. ABC was formed when the US government forced NBC to divest it's Blue network; that network would become the American Broadcasting Company.
- 3/29/1941: Frequency change from 1240 to 1270.
- 1936: Kunsky-Trendle becomes King-Trendle.
- 1935: Station changes networks from Mutual to NBC-Blue.
- 1934: WXYZ is one of the founding stations for the Mutual Broadcasting System, joining WOR New York, WGN Chicago, and WLW Cincinnati.
- 1/20/1933: First broadcast of the Lone Ranger program. WXYZ was the original home of 'The Lone Ranger' and 'The Green Hornet'.
- 6/1930: Kunsky-Trendle Broadcasting purchases the station from George Phelps. Kunsky-Trendle changes the calls to WXYZ, which were acquired from the U.S. Army. WXYZ moves to AM 1240 and is once again licensed to Detroit and the new slogan is "The Last Word in Radio", drawing from the station's new call sign (the last letters of the alphabet). Kunsky-Trendle moved the station's studios to the Maccabees Building on Woodward Avenue in Detroit, where they remained through 1959.
- 1928: Frequency is 1080, licensed to Fraser.
- 9/18/1927: WGHP becomes a charter member of the CBS Radio Network and is one of 16 stations that aired the first CBS network program on this day.
- 1927: Frequency is 940, licensed to Mt. Clemens.
- 10/10/1925: On-air as WGHP at 1110, licensed to Detroit. Owner is George H. Phelps.
Center of antenna array/transmitter location:
Monroe County; Ash Township, near Telegraph Rd and I-275
Old logo gallery: