WGTQ TV Channel 8 Sault Ste Marie
Simulcast of WGTU-TV 29 Traverse City
Slogan: ABC 29&8
Web site: www.upnorthlive.com
E-mail: visit web site
- WPBN on TitanTV.com
- 8.1: ABC affiliate (HD)
- 8.2: NBC affiliate (WPBN, SD)
Power/Height: 15,000 watts / 945 feet, directional
- Service Area
Digital Channel: 8
More web sites about WGTQ/WGTU:
More Technical Information:
Call Sign History: WGTQ, assigned 6/7/1976
Call Sign Origin: Similar to WGTU (Grand Traverse)
Network Affiliation History: ABC
On Air Date: January 12, 1976
Owner: Tucker Broadcasting
Telephone: (231) 946-2900
- 7/2010: License to cover granted for post-transitional digital facilities.
- 6/12/2009: WGTQ flash cuts from analog to digital broadcasting on Channel 8. Previously, WGTQ broadcast its digital companion station on Channel 9.
- 7/2008: Construction permit granted for post-transition digital facilities on Channel 8.
- 9/2007: Barrington Broadcasting is acquiring WGTU-TV 29 Traverse City/WGTQ-TV 8 Sault Ste. Marie from Max Media in a deal worth $10 million. The licenses for the stations will then be spun off to Tucker Broadcasting to keep Barrington, owner of NBC affiliate WPBN-TV 7 Traverse City/WTOM-TV 4 Cheboygan, under federal ownership caps. Barrington will then enter into a joint sales agreement with Tucker, providing up to 15 percent of TV 29&8's weekly programming and sell local advertising for the station on a commission basis.
- 2/2004: License to cover granted for directional antenna
- 9/2003: FCC approves change of digital allotment from ch. 56 to ch. 9
- 8/2003: FCC approves sale of stations from Scanlan Communications to Max Media
- 5/2003: Announced that station, along with sister station WGTU-TV 29 Traverse City, has been sold to Max Media for $8 million
- 5/2003: Construction permit granted to change to directional antenna
Old logo gallery: