WWTV TV Channel 9 Cadillac-Traverse City
Simulcast on WWUP-TV Ch. 10 Sault Ste Marie
Slogan: 9 & 10 News
Web site: www.9and10news.com
E-mail: visit web site
- WWTV on TitanTV.com
- 9.1: CBS affiliate (HD)
- 9.2: FOX affiliate (WFQX, SD)
Power/Height: 45,000 watts / 1631 feet
- Service Area
Digital Channel: 9
DTV Translator (Ch. 40)
Power/Height: 15,000 watts / 604 feet
- Translator Service Area
More web sites about WWTV/WWUP-TV:
More Technical Information:
Call Sign History: WWTV, assigned 5/20/1953
Network Affiliation History:
- 1971: CBS
- 1953-1971: CBS (primary), ABC (secondary)
On Air Date:
- January 1, 1954 on Channel 13
- Moved to channel 9 on May 15, 1962
Owner: Heritage Broadcasting Group
Telephone: (231) 775-3478
- WWTV's broadcast tower south of Cadillac is Michigan's tallest broadcast structure at 1631 feet.
- 10/2010: Construction permit granted for DTV translator for Traverse City on Ch. 40.
- 8/2009: Construction permit for final digital facilities modified to increase power from 30,000 to 45,000 watts. License to cover granted 5/2011.
- 6/12/2009: Analog programming on channel 9 ends as the station flash-cuts to digital on Channel 9. Prior to this date, WWTV broadcast its digital transmission on companion channal 40.
- 4/2008: Construction permit granted for station's permanent digital facilities on Channel 9.
- 5/10/2007: Announced that Northern Michigan FOX affilaite WFQX-TV is being sold by Rockfleet Broadcasting to Cadillac Telecasting; Cadillac Telecasting entered into a shared services agreement with Heritage Broadcasting for the operations of WFQX after the deal closed in October 2007.
- 1988: Heritage Broadcasing, headed by Mario Iacobelli, purchases 9&10.
- 1978: WWTV and WWUP-TV purchased by Ralph Wilson, owner of the Buffalo Bills.
- 1967: First broadcasts in color are aired.
- 1962: WWUP-TV Channel 10 Sault Ste Marie signs on.
- 1962: WWTV moves to Channel 9 and increases power, greatly improving the station's coverage of northern Michigan. The move also allows for the creation of WZZM TV 13 which serves Grand Rapids from Newaygo County.
- 1961: A transmitter fire quickly spread to the adjacent studio and destroyed the entire station, which was quickly rebuilt.
- 1958: Purchased by John E. Fetzer, who also owned the Detroit Tigers and WKZO-TV Kalamazoo. Channel 13 adds broadcasts of Tigers games.
- 1954-1956: Carried some DuMont Network programs as a secondary affiliate until DuMont shut down.
- 1954: On-air on Channel 13 as CBS affiliate for northern Michigan, also carrying some ABC programming until 1971 when WGTU signed on. Original owner was Jackson, MI based Spartan Corporation. WWTV Channel 13 was Northern Michigan's first television station, signing on before WPBN-TV Channel 4 by several months.
Ch. 40 translator transmitter location:
Grand Traverse County