WXMI TV Channel 17 Grand Rapids
Slogan: Fox 17
Web site: www.fox17online.com
E-mail: visit web site
Power/Height/Offset: 725,000 watts / 1004 feet
- Service Area
Construction permit: 750,000 watts / 1096 feet
- CP Service Area
- expires 4/29/14
Digital Channel: 19, maps to 17 using PSIP
Fill-in Translator, Battle Creek: (CP)
Power/Height: 15,000 watts / 423 feet, directional
- Translator CP Service Area
More web sites about WXMI:
More Technical Information:
- engineering data
- station details
- Recnet Broadcast Query
- Tower photos, thanks Tom Bosscher
Call Sign History:
- WXMI: 8/15/1983
- WWMA-TV: 6/1/1981
Call Sign Origin: Michigan
Network Affiliation History: FOX
On Air Date: March 1982
Telephone: (616) 364-8722
- 12/2011: Construction permit granted for fill-in translator to be licensed to Battle Creek on Channel 17 that would help viewers in the southern area of the station's viewing area receive the signal.
- 6/2011: Digital translators W17DF-D Ch. 17 Muskegon and W42DB-D Ch. 42 Hesperia are granted their licenses to cover.
- 4/2011: Construction permit granted to change post-transition digital facilities from 725,000 watts @ 1004 feet to 750,000 watts @ 1096 feet.
- 7/2009: W52DB Muskegon granted construction permit for digital companion channel on Ch. 17 as W17DF-D.
- 3/2006: W42CB Hesperia granted construction permit to convert to digital-only operations. This the first Michigan LPTV to receive a construction permit to covert to digital.
- 2/2004: W52DB moves from Big Rapids to Muskegon.
- 1/2003: Construction permit granted to change ERP from 1,290,000 watts @ 1096 feet to 1,700,000 watts @ 1096 feet. License to cover granted in June, 2003.
- 9/1999: WXMI applies for digital facilities on channel 19.
- 5/1999: Construction permit approved to move translator W58CU Big Rapids to channel 52 as W52DB. The channel change is completed in 2000.
- 1999: WXMI begins offering 10 PM newscasts.
- 6/1998: Station is sold to Emmis Broadcasting who subsequently traded the station to Tribune Company.
- 5/1989: A New York-based company headed by Robert Dudley purchases WXMI.
- 1987: Becomes a charter member of the new FOX television network as FOX 17.
- 3/1982: On-air as independent WMMA-TV (We're West Michigan's Alternative).
WXMI transmitter location: