Michiguide.com's History of Michigan Radio & TV Broadcasting
The Roots of Michigan Broadcasting
- Michigan Television history timeline (from 1947)
- Michigan FM history timeline (from 1940)
- Michigan AM history timeline (from 1920)
- From Fledgling to Floundering to Flourishing: A history of FM Broadcasting in Michigan from the 1930s through the 1960s: Written by George Bednarik, a comprehensive look back at how FM radio developed in Michigan
- Call Sign Changes: Every call sign change in Michigan from 1996 on, plus others that are known from before 1996
- Call Sign Origins: Learning what call signs 'stand for' can be interesting- some are very obvious, some a bit surprising!
- Silenced Stations: A still-incomplete list of broadcast stations in Michigan that have signed off forever.
- On the Air! Michigan Radio and TV Broadcasting 1920-2000: Presented by the Michigan Historical Center
- Detroit Radio Flashbacks: A look back at Detroit radio complete with multiple airchecks
- Detroit Kid-Show Web Page: Remember the kids programming from the 1950's and 60's?
- Tuning out: Detroit radio loses local flavor- Detroit News
Individual Station Histories:
- WLDM-FM 95.5 Detroit: WLDM was Detroit's first independently owned FM station
- CKLW AM 800 Windsor, ON: The Classic CKLW Page; Visit this web site devoted to 'The Big 8'
- The Hits Just Keep on Coming: an NPR special on CKLW from 1999
- WKNR AM 1310 Dearborn: Keener13.com; A 1960's Detroit Rock Legend
- WJEF-FM (now WBCT-FM) 93.7 Grand Rapids: A very interesting station for radio techies- at one time they broadcasted with an effective radiated power of 500,000 watts, 10 times the current maximum for stations in southern Michigan. Because of grandfathering rules, WBCT still booms out at 320,000 watts.
- WBBP AM Petoskey: One of the country's first radio stations (1923-1928)
- WHGR-AM and WJGS-FM Houghton Lake
- WMTE AM 1340 Manistee and WCEN AM 1150 Mt. Pleasant
- msucampusradio.org: A celebration of student radio at Michigan State University
- WIDR Alumni.org: Internet home to the WIDR (Kalamazoo) Alumni Society
- For information on the history of Michigan stations that are still broadcasting, please visit the Michiguide.com Dials section
Archived Dial Pages:
- Dec 31, 2007: TV, FM, AM, FM Translators, Owners, Christmas
- Dec 31, 2006: TV, FM, AM, FM Translators, Owners, Christmas
- Dec 31, 2005: TV, FM, AM, FM Translators, Owners, Christmas
- Aug 31, 2004: TV, FM, AM, FM Translators
- Dec 31, 2003: TV, FM, AM
- Dec 31, 2002: TV, FM, AM
- Dec 31, 2001: TV, FM, AM
- Dec 31, 2000: TV, FM, AM
- Dec 31, 1999: TV, FM, AM
- Dec 31, 1998: TV, FM, AM
- 1989: FM
- 1988: FM
- 1976: FM
Michigan Broadcast News Archives
Michiguide.com has been Michigan's most comprehensive source for broadcasting news and information since 1997. Starting in 1999, all of the news and notes that have been posted on this site have been archived so that they can easily be referenced.
To view this information, please visit this page.
General Broadcasting History Links:
- The Airheads Radio Survey Archive
- Michigan Antique Radio Club
- Bill Dulmage Radio and Television Archive
- Call Letter Origins
- DuMont Television Network
- Jim Hawkins' Radio and Broadcast Technology Page
- History of American Broadcasting
- The Oldest One Hundred Stations
- Old Radio Shows
- Old Time Radio Show Catalog (OTRCAT)
- Original Old Time Radio Pages
- Reel Top 40 Repository
- The Broadcast Archive
- US Early Radio History
- History of Canadian Broadcasting
The content for the History section of Michiguide.com has been gathered from various sources, including: the History of American Broadcasting, Barry Mishkind's Broadcast Archive, George Bednarik (history of WBBP Petoskey and the FM history 1930s-60s), Mike Lewis' original Radio/TV Dial Pages, and from various Michiganders and DX-ers that have been kind enough to pass along tidbits they've picked up along the way. I have tried to verify as much of the information as possible, however it is likely that there are errors. Should you know of a mistake or would just like to add more information to this site, please contact me.
The goal is this section of Michiguide.com is to document as much Michigan radio and TV history as possible and provide an archive of it here for all to use and share. Please be patient as this is always an ongoing project.
You can contact Michiguide.com via this e-mail form.